DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Tinting with VHT Nite Shades

Old 05-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

It's lays down like clear anytime I do it. If you do too fine a coat or hold the can too far away, it'll "dust" the surface, giving it a dull appearance and a sandy texture. This is caused by it partially drying in the air before hitting the surface. After the tint and before the clear, the finish should feel smooth.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It runs much, MUCH easier than clear. I sprayed it on like clear the first time I tried and it ran so bad that I had to rub it down with acetone and start over.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Made a video showing how they look.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gp2woPO78K8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gp2woPO78K8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 05-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(187sks @ May 19 2009, 02:02 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>It runs much, MUCH easier than clear. I sprayed it on like clear the first time I tried and it ran so bad that I had to rub it down with acetone and start over.</div>

I think there's a happy medium between running and "dusting". Again, I've never had a problem and I do this often enough that other people pay me to do it. I'm not painter, either. I've done some touch-up, but I've never painted a car or anything that large. I'm about to try my hand at painting the "Mud Mobile's" hood though. If that goes well, I'm going to hit my Mustang's hood scoop with some satin black paint.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Administrator

I've painted quite a bit with rattle cans, and this doesn't lay like any paint or clear I've used. I repainted most of the front half of the Accent with factory match paint and clearcoat as well as several bike projects for friends and a fair amount of other random items we've fabricated.

I also helped paint Greg's Scoupe in a Motel 6 parking lot. Lol.

Also did a LOT of bodywork and primered Wilbur's Golf. We were going to paint it after finishing the body work (it's so frustrating to be at 80% and not finish it) but he got a Ranger and he likes the Golf fine primered for a race car so we left it as is.

If you paint an entire panel is should come out fine unless you're trying to match and the paint's faded. I've never had anyone notice a mismatch with the front paint on the Accent unless I point out the flaws. My next project after tinting the Tib's tails is painting the Tib's factory wheels. I'm going to try to get a satin black finish, but we'll see how that goes. It's going to take a lot of time to do it right and probably a lot of test sprays to find the right combination.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

I'm painting the hood basic white. The rest of the truck is maroon.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator

That shouldn't be bad at all. The scoop on the Mustang would look nice painted too as long as you avoid the "I just stuck it on even though it doesn't match" look. A nice satin black should look like it's that way on purpose.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 hyundai tiburon

smile.gif Nice smile.gif
Old 05-27-2009, 11:35 PM

Vehicle: 02 Accent GL, 86 BMW 325es

I used the same stuff on my GL Accent. I taped off the back up light and blinker, and sprayed two coats on it. I'm kind of having regrets not doing another coat or two, but it'll be good for now until I drop it and whatnot!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 AM

Vehicle: '97 X3

on my x3 i just pulled the tail lights off and cleaned em with thinners
gave em 3 medium ish coats and polished em up with normal polish
havent cleared em at all and they look as good as the day i did em about 6 months ago...