DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Spark Plugs and Wires Replacement Help

Old 03-25-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Spark Plugs and Wires Replacement Help

Hey this is probably a dumb question for most people but I'm 17 years old and trying to learn. I have a 2000 Tiburon and I want to change my Spark Plugs and Spark Plug Wires. I'm looking for information on how to do this properly, what brands you recommend, and what tools I will need. I'll be borrowing sockets and other tools from my friend so I would like to know all of the sizes that I will need to do this job, from the bolts on top of the plastic engine cover to the actual size needed for the plug. Thanks for the info and your patience!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 98 hyundai tiburon

check ebay they usually selling the ngk blue wires with plugs, i think the cover is 10mm bolts and the plugs are 5/8, go to the auto parts they sell a spark plug socket with a rubber thing to grab them, you will also need a long extension to get them
Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Tiburon-specific: you have to pull off the oil fill cap and the spark plug wire cover. After that, it's standard plugs-and-wires stuff and fairly straightforward. Don't overtighten anything when you screw it all back together.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:59 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

prd wires from prdonline.com and ngk iridium plugs gapped to .039 for best performance. you have to learn to properly gap using tap gauge and the table-tapping method.

then be sure to lube up your boot plugs with dielectric grease and plugs with anti-seize.

use a good magnetic spark plug socket, none of that other crap! i forget what size though, 5/8? when screwing and unscrewing the plugs, make sure you watch a DIY on youtube so you get warned not to cross-thread your aluminum head.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:10 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Go down to your local auto parts store and pick up a set of NGK V-Power plugs for you car. They are cheap and they run good in our cars plus you won't have to gap them since they come pre-gapped.

You can buy a set of standard wires from the auto parts store with a lifetime warranty but they don't last long and it gets old returning them all the time. I now run MSD wires which will cost like 2x as much but they last a real long time and perform great.

Start with 1 spark plug and wire so you don't lose the order in which they plug into the coil packs. Use a 5/8 deep spark plug socket (It has a rubber grommet inside to help hold onto the spark plug), get a long extension and your ratchet and remove your first wire then spark plug.

Put your new spark plug inside the socket and apply a small amount of anti-seize compound to the threads of your plug then disconnect the ratchet but leave the extension connected and gently put it back in your engine and tighten it by hand as tight as you can get it. Remember that when you start threading the new plug in for the first time that you should be able to screw it in most of the way by hand, so if it becomes tight as soon as you start then you need to back it out and try again because your probably cross threading it. Once it's hand tightened, grab your ratchet and tighten the plug like another 1/2 turn or so until it feels snug. Do not over tighten, since the torque on them should be like 15-20 foot pounds.

Put your new wire on and move to the next plug.

You could also use a small amount of dielectric grease on the inside of your wire that connects to the spark plug to help in removal of the wire later and to stop corrosion. I personally don't use it on my cars after I started noticing slight performance issues that would go away after I cleaned off all the dielectric grease on my plugs and wires. Dielectric grease doesn't conduct electricity which can interfere with the electrical connection. I also check them frequently enough to not have to worry about them not coming back off later on and I never have any corrosion issues. Thats just my opinion on the matter so its your call.

I would also recommend resetting the cars computer once your finished.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon RD1

Anyone know what's going on with Prdonline.com? I'm glad I haven't gotten much use out of the ignition wires I bought a while back. Was going to check for a friend on some wires and noticed there's no hyundai stuff being sold.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

hey have to start somewhere. i think that's where i started.

only thing i'd like to add is look up any info related to this on www.hmaservice.com. get used to looking up tech info, you'll save yourself a LOT of headache if you do so and plan for the job beforehand. i usually review the job before (unless its dead simple and/or i've done it a dozen times already) and then i make a short list of any torque specs or other info i might need in the garage with me.