DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Painting Dash And Side Panels

Old 06-16-2007, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to find a good DIY for this. I want to paint my dash and side panels, but with good quality as to not chip. What kind of paint do i need and how should i go about it?
Old 06-16-2007, 05:00 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You can use any paint, just sand down the manufacturer's paint first. You'll be happier if you remove all texture. You can only paint the hard plastic with normal paint. You must use vinyl paint for the flexible parts, or you can remove all the vinyl and then resin over the panels.

When you paint plastic, you first sand it down, then instead of using normal primer, you use adhesion promoter, then paint. Duplicolor seems to be the official RDT paint. I always use it when possible and alot of other members endorse it too.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:42 AM

^DTN is right. Sand down the passenger side so you don't have the texture on it. I didn't do it to mine and now I wish I had.

For spray paint I would go with duplicolor fing02.gif. I'm going to be redoing mine in automotive paint nana.gif. Yes it will require a lot more work. But it should turn out great. I'm just not sure when I'll get around to doing that though.

There's not a DIY because you really only need to know how to take your dash apart, sand, and spray paint.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:53 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You didn't search too well, there are tons of DIY's and short writeups on this site about how to do it properly.

I did a forum wide search for...

paint dash

This thread came up, second post has a DIY.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...t=0&start=0

Also, searching for different things, like...

interior painting

Might find some good results.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...terior+painting

Wow, it's a DIY.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:49 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ we really could use a new DIY though.. That old one is more of a show and tell type thing. it dosn't really get in-depth, it only covers vinyl paint which requires cleaning and spraying vinyl with paint. We could really use a official DIY with pictures that covers sanding, prepping, primming, painting, clearcoating, then how to get the showroom finish once cured.