DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Optimoprime's Beta2 Engine Swap Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: uhm..... N/A

Isnt the beta II the motor with the returnless fuel system?

offtopic.gif > Also, why all the extra work to put something that has virtually the same specs just a few years newer? I honestly would have put some time into the transmission.

If at all possible get ahold of my local transmission shop and look into possible upgrades or custom cut gears for it. Also look into getting syncros for all the gears. Just upgrading the FGR would improve the amount of power the motor had.

Changing the ratios from the tranny would be better for alot of people, as it stands now the tranny runs out of gear around 160mph; while not bad, I just dont see the need of being at 10k rpm to do so. I don't see the point of going 160 when half the time you would be going down the quarter. My objective is to make 1st longer while keeping second about the same, but changing it slightly to keep with the 1st gear ratio move. Move third gear a little higher in the band making it not gear to gear ratio, and making 4th the new gear to gear ratio, and 5th being an actuall over drive.

Im not sure of the ratios of the transmission currently, although I know when I bang through the gears 1st I will sit and roast tires off if there is even the slightest hint of moisture in the air. (mind you this is on the drag strip off of 1500rpms and dropping the clutch 2nd gear I still spin off the first few couple of moments and third I will actually catch traction if i'm lucky.)

All in all, I'm looking to keep the transmission in around 150mph max speed, but accelerating to that speed faster. Even at my local track most of the straights aren't where you would need to worry, it's in the turns and exiting them when you need the most power.

I'm also looking to do this cause I'm going to be turbo-ing my car soon. 1st gear would be about useless for turbo application right now. Cause I see redline in about 3 seconds when I get on it. Oh well bed time...
Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 AM

Vehicle: Elantra XD GT

Those are some incredibly long run-on sentences. The reason why he swapped the motor was because his old engine was toast and beta2s are easier to find anyway.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

jim, what are you talking about guy??

i swaped the engine because my old one was about to die. that was the benifit of the swap not more power

the reason noone messes with trannys is because its a WASTE OF MONEY. the reality of you breaking your tranny due to power is so far fetched you might as well tell us your peter pan.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:54 AM

Vehicle: tiburon SE 2000

nice job man fing02.gif
Old 01-16-2008, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (optimoprime @ Jan 16 2008, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>but man i miss the extra duration/lift of that 1.8 cam.....</div>
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the beta2 cam have even more duration & lift?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (optimoprime @ Jan 16 2008, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>if you have the power to move it i would do it. i'm sure this can help someone else to do the swap i wrote the title so it would be easy to search for</div>

Hit the report button and let them know it should be moved.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Banned

looks great man.. good job..

dont mind jim, most of what he posted doesn't make sense and he seems to lack reading and writing skills. lmao.gif
Old 01-18-2008, 12:34 PM

I'm guessing you used the stock RD wiring harness and ECU?

I'm guessing you used the stock RD wiring harness and ECU?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

fing02.gif good guess
Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 PM

I know old thread, but do you think this will work for a 2002 Elantra with beta1?