DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Knowledge Post: 1.8 Ecu

Old 04-28-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stupid newbie question, but is this post for swapping out the 2.0 ecu with a 1.8 ecu and get gains in power and mpg?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Vehicle: car

that would be the point, yes...

So I just did my 1.8 ECU and it took about 1 hour for me, and that was including asking REDZ on AIM for a while, and looking over the DIY. Just take off the two mounting bolts that put the bracket to the firewall, theres two bolts connecting a relay block, and take off the connector to the ecu, the metal piece lifts up to unlock it. It's a lot easier if you take off the plastic fuse panel and the whole fuse box off the car, just let it hang. id give it about a 2.5 out of 5.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Elantra

Bump.

How much did mileage increase for people? I've searched and have not come across any numbers for increases, only anecdotal evidence that this helps with mileage. A second question that is moderately related: how much did mileage change when doing both this and the 1.8 cam swap?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:59 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

I wish I could be an example of the increased mileage, but I'm doing quite a few mods so I can't isolate this...

Hopefully someone can do this mod as an isolated event and record the effects.

Honestly though, if you're Rev A, you should do this swap regardless. Car runs so much better now!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:23 PM

I will let you know on MPG gains after I fill up. I generally get 250-275 miles per tank, so I'll be sure to note it.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:14 PM

I have a completely different number than those listed. I got the ECU from a 98 Elantra at the junkayard. The number is 39150-23951. The weird thing is, on the side on the yellow sticker, the number is teh same except it's 39140 insteaqd of 39150. Does that make a difference? We brought the ECU to the dealer to see if he could tell if it was Rev A or not, but he couldnt even find anything to match the number. Is this an anomoly? I am 90% sure that the 1.8 ECU I have in my tib now and have had for about 2 years is Rev A, and is causing all my emissions problems. So I wanna swap the new one i have but not if it will cause problems as well.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I will let you know on MPG gains after I fill up. I generally get 250-275 miles per tank, so I'll be sure to note it.</div>

off topic, i know, but WHAT THE HELL... i get like 300 miles per tank, city driving, and i am running 8 injectors, and 8 lbs of boost.. HOW THE HELL is your gas mileage so bad.. highway driving, i get about 350 miles per tank.. and that all is when im driving the car boosting, and not taking it super easy..

you do realize that your getting ~20 mpg on a stock tib, thats not good, you definately need to fix that, lol.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:01 PM

Yea but i dunno what the hell is wrong with it. I have a new ECU, Bosch Platinum two plugs with like 3k miles on them, duralast wires with like 3k miles on them, new fuel filter, CAI, and no matter how I drive or what octane i use i get shit for mileage. It's gotta be an injector problem or something... When I bought the car, the guy had paperwork for a "fuel system cleaning" from a local shop.

Here is the exact paper. I found it...

PCV Valve 11.34
Fuel Filter 25.42
Spark Plugs 16.00
Wires 72.59
Fuel Inj. Cleaner 19.95
Shop Supplies 2.91
Tune Elec. Ign. (minor) 129.75
R&R Filter 34.60
Haz Mat 4.36

Here's a good one! Fuel control system tune-up
-Clean gum and soft carbon deposit from fuel delivery components and inside combustion chamber. Perform complete fuel pressure and colume test. Road test vehicle. 109.95

Grand total for a tune up, $439.84

Accurate Auto Repair, "We Try Harder" 1-4-06

What do you think I should do? Should I maybe replace my fuel rail or injectors or something? This gas mileage is terrible..
Old 05-21-2007, 08:26 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Don't take it to a shop. All that stuff up there is regular maintenance items. What you should do is go through the operator's manual and find out what has been done and what has not. Then, you should do whatever has not been done. Parts are about 1/2 the prices listed in that first shop list you posted, at autozone. DIY and save money
Old 05-21-2007, 09:37 AM

DTN, the guy before me had this done, that was his reciept. I've already done all of that myself besides the fuel system cleaning and the ignition timing or whatever... So I don't know what they did to mess it up. What do you think I should do to increase my mileage?