DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

HKS Turbo Timer Type II DIY Install for an RD Tib

Old 05-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default HKS Turbo Timer Type II DIY Install for an RD Tib

By JonGTR

This is an install guide for the HKS Turbo Timer Type II on my 2001 Tiburon. This may or may not be a similar install to other brand timers but you can use most of this to get the wiring information so you know where to tap for other brand timers.

1. The first thing I did was remove the top steering column cover which snaps on and off.
2. I then lowered the steering column at its lowest point to give me more room to get to the wires behind the ignition cylinder. It’s still a tight reach to them.
3. Next I tested the wires to see what they were in different positions. You can most likely skip this step because I’ll give you the wire colors and where they go. Hopefully it’s transferable from one model year to another. Remember, this is for my 2001 Tiburon.
4. I then disconnected the battery.
5. Now for the wire tapping. I used “wire taps” for this, duh, and it made the install a breeze. Here are the wires from the timer that needed to be tapped and where they go:
a. (BLUE)Speed sensor wire from the turbo timer to PIN #42 on the ECU. This pin is just to the right of the MAF sensor pin.
b. (BROWN) RPM sensor wire from the turbo timer to PIN #47 on the ECU.
c. (GRAY) Parking Brake wire from the turbo timer to the parking brake signal. This is an extra safety feature I chose not to install at this time.
d. (RED) Constant 12V wire from the turbo timer should tap into the 12V (YELLOW WITH BLACK STRIPE) wire on the back of the ignition cylinder.
e. (GREEN) 12V Ignition wire from the turbo timer should tap into the “ON” (RED WITH WHITE STRIPE) wire on the back of the ignition cylinder.
f. (BLUE) 12V Accessory wire from the turbo timer should tap into the “ACC” (WHITE WITH BLUE STRIPE) wire on the back of the ignition cylinder.
g. (BLACK) Ground wire from the turbo timer can be grounded to the bolt that is facing upwards just behind the rubber shield above the steering column.
6. Lastly, put the cover back on and reconnected the battery.

I chose to place my timer on my steering column, so it was an easy reach to all the tapping points. If you want it somewhere else, then you’ll need to stretch the wires to length. The double-sided sticky pad they supplied sucks. I stuck one side to the bottom of the timer, but super glued the other side of the pad to the steering column.

I haven’t played with the timer yet but the face has black text and is backlit with a blue tint, which is VERY bright at night. This timer is supposed to have a lot of features that don’t require a turbo to have fun with. It basically has a built in G-tech that is more accurate since it’s literally plugged into your car. It also has lap times, a volt meter, rpm and speed displays.