DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Hardwire For Low Voltage Output (sat Radio)

Old 11-18-2008, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

well i said i was gonna do this tutorial a while back now but i have been extremely busy with remote car starters and finally had time to do it. SO HERE WE GO.

This is what to do to hardwire your sat radio or any other electrical device with a low voltage output.

first things first. Grab your sat radio plug (power plug for cigarette lighter)

Next unscrew the tip on the plug and remove the silver ring, fuse, and plastic part that screws into place!

Now pry the plug into 2 parts.

Now cut the harware off of the wires, (side prongs and the spring). The one connected to the spring is 12v + and the one with the side prongs is ground. The board will usually have a + and - printed next to the wires. red is power and black is ground if they are colored wires. Now solder on your length of wire onto your existing length connected to the plug!

Now tape up your wires good.You dont want them shorting out onto eachother. Slide over your silver ring and then your plastic part that screws into place and re connect them as they were before hand. you may need to cut out some of the notches inside the neck of the plug to feed the wires and have the plug re attatch properly.

YOUR DONE> HOOK THIS UP AND YOUR READY TO GO>

it is a good idea to fuse your connection i would go no higher than 7.5 amps for a fuse.

and your finnished product!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Nice.

I'd rather use an actual hardwire kit like the one I got for my XM radio, this way I can use the 12V adapter one if I want to take it in someone elses car.