DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Evaporation Cannister Relocation

Old 01-31-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Thanks dude!! I will get a glue gun and seal the area around the black box. post pictures tomorrow afternoon for you to see how it's all connected.

thanks again buddy.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

i was told by the a smog guy here in cali that the evap canister has to be vertical not horizontal. i don't know why but thats the info i was told.

other then that great DIY splinter fing02.gif

i will probly be using that mounting idea if the above info isn't correct but im not going to be cutting and extending wires like that i'll just mount it. its easier to extend tubes then it is wires IMO.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

i was told by the a smog guy here in cali that the evap canister has to be vertical not horizontal. i don't know why but thats the info i was told.

other then that great DIY splinter fing02.gif

i will probly be using that mounting idea if the above info isn't correct but im not going to be cutting and extending wires like that i'll just mount it. its easier to extend tubes then it is wires IMO.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:22 AM

Well it's catching fumes though, not liquid... I was told you could mount it however you wanted.

Thanks for all the good feedback.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:22 AM

Well it's catching fumes though, not liquid... I was told you could mount it however you wanted.

Thanks for all the good feedback.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:32 AM

hi im going to be doing this this weekend.
im a little worried about doing it as im hearing mixed views on what to do. is there anything that i really need to watch out for when doing it?
secondly im a little confussed why i have to do it? i read its only there on the 97 tibs rev a engines???? i have a 2001 rd2 and from what i can see i have this too???? any ideas whay???
Old 11-09-2007, 05:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I suggest making a new topic and putting a link to this. You posted in the DYI when you really have a question.

Your charcoal can is in the front bumper and you have an 01' RD2? I have an 01' as well and it should be located under the bumpber on the rear drivers side, behind the tire ,it looks like a black box.

You needs a charcoal canister for Emissions. It catches fumes form your gas tank. People who have Rev A's move to install cold air intakes.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:15 AM

sorry but i have asked this question in other posts and i just get told off again and again even in my own post for not surching hard enough. i guessed that ad other ppl have asked questions in this post id be safe.........guess not. yes it is a rd 2 and it is in the front and a friend of mine with the same car has the same thing. im hearing mixed views on this topic and i just want to make sure im not going to mess up my car and thought if my own post was the wrong place to ask the an actual post about the mod would be ok.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

basically even if you make a new thread, the responses you will get on it will be no different than the ones that have been already posted. there is nothing that hasn't been gone over.

your best bet is not to extend any tubes and do not cut any wires. if you want to do it right, match the plug for the solenoid or buy a new solenoid. then hack the socket off the old solenoid and make it into a plug with glue, fiberglass resin, anything that is waterproof for extension of the wires. it's best because it is fully reversible. then take out the canister and move it up just like SplinterCel. but you have to study ALL of these DIY's and have some hands on practice before you do anything.

it's easy if you know something about it, but if you're inexperienced it can be a pain in the ass. if i'm the only one to warn you then be it because i was just like you at one point, i should hate for someone to go through what i went through with it.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM

thanks for you honest awnser mate.
im just worried about getting a cel as my mot is due this month. i was also supprised to find this on a rd2 and it kinda worried me.