DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy: Throwout Bearing Removal

Old 02-06-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Alright, so you bought a used pressure plate that already has the TOB attached, or you're changing the clutch disc and need to reassemble everything. You thought it would be simple. You were wrong.

Because our clutch is pull type, before you mount the transmission to the engine you must put the throwout bearing on the release fork. There are some threads here which have some suggestions, but half the battle is actually figuring out what you have to do. Hopefully this thread can clear some of this up.

Difficulty: Pain in the ass

Time: 5 - 155 minutes

Tools required (my method):

-two solid screwdrivers, and 1 medium sized flat head screwdriver
-straight external snap ring pliers
-big socket
-hammer
-couple pieces of wood/big vice

Step 1. Locate the snap ring. Hard to tell in the pic, but if you get your flashlight and shine it in there you'll see it. Yes, Hyundai engineers are assholes. The second pic is with the bearing already removed, for reference.

Step 2. Jam the screwdrivers in place like so, to create good outwards pressure on the bearing.

Step 3. Using the snap ring pliers, spread the ring apart as much as possible. You'll quickly realize this is easier said than done, I know, I spent about 2 hours on this before trying one of the methods suggested in a thread I found here (link at the bottom of this post). Make sure your screwdrivers are holding some good tension on the bearing. The goal here is not to get the ring spread completely, onlny enough to get one half of the ring out of the groove on the TOB, as I will depict in my amazing MS Paint 5ki11z.

Step 4. If you've gotten to this step, thank the jesus! Take the pressure plate, bearing facing down, and place it as shown in the pic (edit: the pressure plate in the first pic should be turned upside down, TOB towards the floor). Now take your socket and hammer, and tap the bearing out. Don't hit it too hard, IT WILL NOT COME OUT YET. What you're looking to do is push half the bearing out. The half that the snap ring lifted up on. Hald to visualize or take a pic of, but once you've accomplished this the bearing will look crooked in the PP and your screwdrivers will have to be adjusted to put tension on the bearing again. The purpose of this step is so that the first half of the ring doesn't fall BACK into the ring groove in the next step, by moving it out more and holding more pressure on it (illustrated in this next pic).

Step 5. Now that the first part of the snap ring is up, and cannot fall back into place (that's the reason for step 4, by the way), take your flat head screwdriver and pry the other half of the ring up, like so. I wedged the screwdriver against a fin on the pressure plate and just twisted against the ring. With any luck you'll have this.

Step 6. Now just repeat step 4, and the bearing should pop right out!

Now just assemble your clutch on the flywheel, grease up the TOB contact points, throw it on the release fork and mount the tranny. Once the tranny is in, use the fork arm to pop it back into the PP and you're good to go. Hopefully this will save people some grief when doing this. DO NOT TRY AND "TEST FIT" YOUR NEW TOB if you buy a clutch kit.

There are other methods of doing this, this is just the method I found most useful. Alex01tib used a different method. Here are some links to some threads I read while trying to get my own TOB out.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=16186&

Alright I can't find the other thread I used, but basically it described the method I used in this DIY.
Hopefully this helps someone out.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Funny ass DIY, but it's no WONDER you had problems bro.

It comes out pretty easily if you have snap ring pliars, and PUSH THE TOB TOWARDS THE PLATE.

That's right, you did the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do, trying to pull it off and negotiate the snap ring at the same time. Instead, you have to push it IN, and use the pliars. The pliars don't fit well, but this is how it's done, even has it in the instructions in the service manual.

Now, you want a PITA? Try doing this with one of the ears of the snap ring broken off. Right Role Reversal? LOL
Old 02-06-2009, 08:25 AM

I tried pushing in as Alex said in his experience, and I couldnt get it, my pliers kept slipping.

I tried that method for about 45min before I gave up and found this method, which worked in about 5 min. Then again it was late so maybe I was working with my eyes closed...

Anyways, it's good to get the PROPER way of doing it in here too. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Hyundai's method is the pushing the tob towards the pp. I got mine out in like 3 minutes the first time, now I can usually get it out in 30-45 seconds.

You line up the snap ring pliers, push down hard on the tob and squeeze the pliers, you here a pop and then pick up the tob.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yup. Getting pliars with an angled head will help too. Now that I know how to do it, like RR showed me, I can do it quick too.The biggest problem is the pliars slipping off while pushing in on the TOB.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Yeah thats the problem I had. I ended up filing down my pliers to make flat surfaces, but i dont think i tried pushing IN the TOB after that.

Anyways, pics for reference anyway, so this thread isn't a total loss fing02.gif