DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy = Meccatune Hid Kit

Old 06-21-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Finally got my HID kit, and thought a fresh DIY might be nice, with every step shown. This DIY should be the same for other similar kits.

First off, what you need.

1. Meccatune HID Kit (8300K used in DIY).
2. Windex.
3. Paper towels or rags.
4. RTV Silicone Sealant.
5. Drill with 7/8 whole saw bit.
6. Block of wood.
7. One rum and coke. Takes about 15 minutes per Headlight.

The DIY shown is for the passenger side, though the driver side is identical. Only thing you need to do different is to take the battery hold down bracket off, and swivel your battery at an angle, then cover it with a rag so you don't short anything out.

^^^
This is what comes with the kit. Only one HID setup is shown here for clarity. My box did NOT come with a fuse as listed on the intructions, or the adhesive strips to hold the ballast/igniter, but that's because my box was opened to pack more stuff in as requested, and they were not put back in. This picture shows you where all the cables go, and how to hook them up.

^^^
Begin by assembling your ballasts. Simple, just plug in the appropriate cable as shown in the picture. Push in till you hear it click and the seal is completely inside the ballast connector.

^^^
Pick an installation site for the ballast. I chose the spot shown for BOTH sides of the car. It's flat, out of the way, and easy to clean.

^^^
Use windex and a rag/paper towels to clean the mounting area. Let it dry.

^^^
Affix some automotive grade 2 sided adhesive to the back of your ballast, then attach the ballast to your cleaned area. Make SURE you leave enough room for the wires/cables to bend gently.

^^^
Remove the headlight bulb cover cap. The LOW beams are your OUTER headlights, the ones with the projectors. Place it on a block of wood or some thick cardboard so you don't damage your drill bit/hole saw when you make it through the plastic. Use a drill and a 7/8 inch bit to cut a hole in the CENTER of the cover.

^^^
Push the connectors from the HID Kit BULB HARNESS through the hole you drilled, one at a time, from the INSIDE of the cap out.

^^^
Carefully pull the Bulb Harness grommet through the hole, taking care to move around the entire grommet. Be slow and careful, you do not want to tear it. The grommet should be half on both sides of the cover cap, and generally smooth.

^^^
Use some RTV Silicone Sealant (I used clear), on the INSIDE of the cap, around the grommet, to ensure you don't get any water leaks or vapor into the headlight. This is just a precaution. You could also RTV the outside of the cap, but it'll look bad.

ALLOW THE RTV TO DRY IN A VENTILATED AREA UNTIL YOU NO LONGER SMELL FUMES FROM IT.

In the meantime, you can prep the headlight.

^^^
Pull the wiring harness off of the bulb currently in your headlight. Brown = Power, Yellow = Ground.

^^^
Push the wire retainer towards the front of the car (the end near the OEM wiring), then down and away. Swing the wire out, and carefully pull out your old bulb. Place this somewhere where it wont' get damaged, so you can use it in an emergency or give to someone else.

^^^
Get the new Bulb Harness, and connect each connector to the cables coming from the ballast. They will only connect in the right order, so there is NO way to cross the wires here. The little blue/black extension cable seems like you won't need it, but mine did not work without it. Push all connectors together till they lock with a snap.

IMPORTANT, DO NOT TOUCH THE HID BULBS WITH YOUR FINGERS OR LET THEM TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE. BE VERY CAREFUL, WEAR GLOVES IF YOU CAN. NATRUAL OILS ON YOUR HANDS CAN MAKE THE BULBS EXPLODE WHEN YOU TURN THEM ON.

^^^
Carefully pull the bulb out of it's protector case, and then pull the foam guard off of the cable.

^^^
Place the bulb in the headlight, taking care not to hit anything. It should lock into place just like the OEM bulb. Hold it in place with one finger while pushing the wire retainer into place to hold it permanently. Look carefully at the picture, you'll see the tab on the bulb base fits in the channel on the headlight, just like the OEM H7 bulbs.

^^^
On the inside of the cover cap, follow the harness to the only 2 remaining wires you haven't connected anywhere. Plug the RED SPADE into the OEM Headlight Harness on the side with the BROWN WIRE. Plug the BLACK SPADE into the OEM Headlight Harness on the side with the YELLOW WIRE.

Go turn on your car and test the light. It may take a second or 2 to fully brighten.

^^^
Carefully pack the wiring/harnesses into the headlight housing, do not force anything. Put the cover cap back on, and test your headlight again.

Here are some last minute pictures of the setup on both sides, with everything back in place on my car.

Now for the money shots.

Before Pictures.

AFTER SHOTS.

I'm impressed to say the least. These are fantastic lights, and the coloring is exactly what I wanted. No flickering, just a second or 2 for complete brightness, and really easy to install.

I hope this helps some folks here.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

it's gonna help me bud. I'm doing HID's, Angels Eyes, and blacking out my headlights all at the same time.

DIY printed and stapled to my wall along with ever other DIY with this one.

300 posts, W0ot!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:49 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I think I will go ahead and install my HID's now. Thanks for the DIY.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:24 AM

That's pretty awesome! I've been wanting to get HIDs for some time now, but there are still a few things I'm unsure of. I see all kinds of HID kits on eBay, and although I know not to buy the cheap Xenon lights, I don't know which kits are reliable. Also, since I've never seen the difference between 6000K and 8000K in person, I'm not sure which to get. I like my girlfriend's G35 lights, as they are completely white, no blue tint at all. HID bulbs last a lot longer than standard halogen bulbs, don't they? Also, where can I get another metal retainer clip for the passenger side? The Hyundai dealership did some work about 1 1/2 year ago and told me that I was missing one, so that had to rig up some kind of aiming mechanism, which I later found to be a simple screw... I tried looking on the parts list, and Hyundai told me I'd have to buy a whole new headlight assembly for that one part...
Old 06-26-2007, 07:31 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Good DIY REDZMAN! Lots of pictures!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:44 AM

^^^
Thanks mang.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ShadyShifty @ Jun 26 2007, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>That's pretty awesome! I've been wanting to get HIDs for some time now, but there are still a few things I'm unsure of. I see all kinds of HID kits on eBay, and although I know not to buy the cheap Xenon lights, I don't know which kits are reliable. Also, since I've never seen the difference between 6000K and 8000K in person, I'm not sure which to get. I like my girlfriend's G35 lights, as they are completely white, no blue tint at all. HID bulbs last a lot longer than standard halogen bulbs, don't they? Also, where can I get another metal retainer clip for the passenger side? The Hyundai dealership did some work about 1 1/2 year ago and told me that I was missing one, so that had to rig up some kind of aiming mechanism, which I later found to be a simple screw... I tried looking on the parts list, and Hyundai told me I'd have to buy a whole new headlight assembly for that one part...</div>

If it's under $150 it's probably not HID's but some HID labeled bulbs. HID's come with the components shown in my pictures.

The reliable kits would be the ones you see folks on this site recommend that have had them for some time.

The difference between the 00000K numbers are the color temperature. Any site selling HID's will have sample pictures of the color of the light emitted. SFR has pictures of every color they offer.

http://www.kdmstuff.com/shop/step1.php?number=1744

HID bulbs should last quite some time.

The retaining clip, only way to get one is from another set of headlights, or make your own out of a heavy duty paper clip.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 PM

Is it advisable to get an HID conversion for high beams? Sounds like a dumb question, but a lot of cars I've seen with factory HIDs left the high beams as halogen lamps. Wonder why that is?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

because youll never even need your high beams with hids. I know ive never used mine. great write up redz
Old 06-26-2007, 02:56 PM

No, you do not do HID's for the highbeams.

Reason being that you need to be able to FLASH your brights, HID's take a couple of seconds to turn on and come fully bright, so this wouldn't work.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I picked up two sets (low beams and fogs) of HID's on eBay from seller super-digi, for $65 each (plus $40 shipping, each), a couple months ago, in 6000K. They work great, haven't used the high beams since, and they match my xenon white LED directional lights pretty good too.