DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy Stop Seat Belt Latch Vibration

Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Scope:
This DIY will cover eliminating noise from the passenger seat belt. It is hard to isolate this particular problem because it seems that the sound is coming from much higher up somewhere on the passenger side. This is because the sound has to bounce off the door or the ceiling before it reaches your ear as your shoulder covers up the direct path to the passenger seat belt while driving. Ensure that the sound is not caused by the rear view mirror before you perform this modification. There is a DIY for the rear view mirror rattling.

You will need:
T10 keyed Torx screw driver
Cigarette Lighter
pack of Basic Lights
Corona w/lime

Disassembly and modification:

1. Remove 2 T10 Keyed torx screws
2. remove the passenger side seat belt cover by pulling it off
3. remove the driver's side seat belt cover by pulling it up and rotating towards the passenger side
4. Remove the red seatbelt push button by moving it up and towards the driver's side then disconnect the spring

on the seat passenger side seat belt cover
on the right side of tool box, driver's side seat belt cover
on the left of the toolbox, red seatbelt push button

5. heat up the tab on the right of red seatbelt push button by heating for 1/2 - 1 second with a lighter
6. use the T10 screw driver to lift the tab upwards slighly and gently aproximately 1mm and repeat as needed
7. repeat on left side.

Assembly:
1. Slide the seat forward to get a better angle to work around the e-brake.

2. Attatch spring to red pushbutton and loop on seat belt chassis
3. *tricky* hold red pushbutton in place while manuvering drivers side seat belt cover into place
4. replace passenger side seat belt cover
5. replace the 2 T10 keyed Torx screws using VERY light pressure as the screws secure into plastic

That wasn't so hard:
It's a quick simple modification and i'm sure you could find a more creative way to apply heat in a small area. I had a lighter, but a mini-torch would be a better option. Anyways, as long as you didn't heat the red push button for too long, it's an easier modification then replacing the seat belt latch assembly. Please forgive my dirty car, I've been doing alot of work to it lately and not much cleaning.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Thanks DTN, I have the same rattle, i was SURE it was coming from the door before i realized what it was. I usually keep it pushed down so it doesn't rattle, but I will do your fix soon.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:36 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Heh... yeah, did you ever get someone to sit there and try to find the sound but it wouldn't do it because they were wearing a seat belt? lmao.gif
Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Haha yeah, everytime I would pick someone up I would get annoyed by the sound, and then tell them about it, but it would stop when they were in the car haha I looked crazy
Old 11-18-2008, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

thanks man, I think I might have this, I have an annoying rattle on that side and could never figure out where it was coming from, I'll have to check this out next time I'm driving