DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

DIY RD2 Clear corners in 30 minutes

Old 09-06-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY Mesh Grills

I have recently made my own clear corners. It was very easy and it only took 30 minutes. I will post pics after I get them developed of how it turned out. For now I will talk you through it.

tools needed
1. Oven
2. Flathead screwdriver
3. needlenose plyers
4. superglue

Step 1.
disconect your corner lights from your car.

Step 2.
Go inside and preheat your cooking oven to 350 degrees.
Place the lights on a cookie sheet and stick them in the oven.(Make shure the transparent lens is not touching the cookie sheet.) Now close the oven door 3/4 of the way shut. This is so you can watch them.

Step 3.
After about 2 1/2 minutes take them out of the oven. Using the flathead screw driver gently pry the transparent lens away from the grey housing. (If it dosen't work put them back in the oven for a nother minute or so.) If it does keep prying all the way around the lens. It will sound like it is cracking But its just the glue they used.

Step 4.
Once both lenses are off the housing place them on a damp wash rag and back on the cookie sheet. heat for another 40 seconds. take them out and gently pry the orange reflector off the lense, as done preveiously.

Step 5.
Once this is completed you might have peices of orange where the glue was holding the refector on. this is normal. Just use your needlenose plyers and break off those peices.

Step 6.
Now using your super glue run a thick bead all the way around the housing.( make shure it is a good amount of glue so it seals properly.) Now place your clear lense on and let it dry.

Now your done and your clear corners are complete
Old 09-06-2004, 05:54 PM

Default DIY RD2 Clear corners in 30 minutes

You need "pics" as well, eventhough its kinda straight forward.
People need pictures my friend, plus its in the rules smile.gif

good write up though
Old 09-06-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: I wanna paint my interior

damn once you put the pics up, ill try this for sure. Save me a good $80
Old 09-06-2004, 06:47 PM

Default Re: DIY Clear corners in 30 minutes

Forshezee
hah thats his name
Old 09-06-2004, 07:36 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibu971.8L)</div><div class='quotemain'>damn once you put the pics up, ill try this for sure. Save me a good $80</div>

It wont work for you because you have a first gen.

This mod is only for RD2's and GK's. THIS SHOULD BE IN THE TITLE

the orange is a part of the lense on our cars. (RD1)
Old 09-06-2004, 07:47 PM

8O -----> evil.gif ------> :x
Old 09-06-2004, 08:22 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon
Default Re: FS - everything is for sale

it is stressed to be careful. you don't wanna crack the corner itself...
Old 09-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Re: Radar Detector

You can also take a hammer, flat blade screwdriver, and some needle nose pliers. You can break the amber plastic piece and not worry about getting the corners sealed back properly and completely. By using the oven, it's easy to ruin the reflective silver backing to the lens... Blacktibs has found that out the hard way.

I believe dweet and I have both broken the amber pieces out, as well as quite a few other people. Blacktibs said it could be done with the oven, but it's not fool-proof and you have to be careful of the silver part not crinkling up and ruining.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Color Hyundai Badge?

changed the title to rd2.

its not required that you have pictures when writing a DIY, just dont expect your DIY to get added to the main list in the sticky.

nice diy dude, pictures will make it even better.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Re: FS: Oilbank Racing GT front bumper only

Gotta stress this fellas, this is a very risky thing. It's not a fail-safe DIY. I've cracked/broken 3 driver side corners doing this above method.

---The headlights and taillights use a soft sealant to keep the lens on, when heated, it becomes easy to pull off. The corners use a rigid glue to keep the lens on (hence the cracking noise). This glue is much less affected by heat.
---The non-lens plastic is VERY sensitve to heat. The chromed areas can and will bubble and flake if it gets too hot.
---After the reflector is broken out from the clear lens, there will be remnants of orange where the glue bonded the 2 plastics. To COMPLETELY remove the remnants, I suggest a dremmel.
---Do everything you can to not touch the chromed areas. Fingerprints should be removed only with a soft cloth. Water, or any cleaner followed by even light rubbing will take off the chrome, especially if it was heated previously.
---Finally, I would suggest clear silicone sealant rather than crazy (super) glue. Crazy glue is not known for it's water-proof-ness. Silicone (even a small bead) will expand to the tiniest of gaps when clamped, and IS known for it's water-proof-ness.

Not to rag on this DIY by any means. It IS possible, you just really need to weigh in the possiblity you may ruin your corner light while doing this. I've spent more money on replacement stock corners than it ever would have cost for clear corners in the first place. I'm just stubborn, and think "I know what I did wrong last time, and I won't break this one!"... and then it cracks. wink.gif

:edit:
I had a pic of how the chrome rubbed off from using water and a paper towel to remove finger prints. They're circled in white. ALSO, the theme of my car is silver and orange, so I thought I'd mess around with this broken corner and paint the remaining chrome metalcast orange tint. Just an idea for those who do try this DIY and want to try blue or whatever your theme is.