DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

DIY Mesh Grills

Old 08-12-2004, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: **ANGER..stupid car**

Link: http://www.tibathon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=54#54

Author: Joshuwa
Difficulty: Easy
Time: 1 Hour
Materials Needed: 3 sheets of Aluminum "Gutter Guard", Tin Snips, and Needle-nose Pliers.

The Aluminum Gutter Guard will be used as our mesh, and can be purchased at your local hardware store for about $2.00 per sheet.

<span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%">Mesh Grills: Create and Install</span>

1. Get the Mesh: Buy three of these small sheets from your local hardware store. Total Cost: around $6.00.

2. Remove the old grills: The stock grills are held on by small metal clips (circled above). Remove them by pulling them off - but BE CAREFULL! They are sharp, and can cut you. It is not necessary that you take the front bumper off to do this, but it does make it a little easier to remove the upper grill. The process is the same for all four grills (upper front, lower front, right rear, and left rear).

3. Preparing the Mesh: Once the old grills are taken out, lay them down on the aluminum mesh. Use one sheet for each front grill, and the rear grills can both be done on one sheet. Using a marker, trace around the old grill to get an outline you can cut out. Make sure to only mark on the concave side of the aluminum grill. Then, using tin snips, carefully cut the mesh into the shape of the grill.

4. Cutting the slots: Now that the mesh is cut into the shape of the grill, it is time to cut the slots where the plastic tabs of the bumper will go through. Lay the old grill onto the mesh once again, and mark where the slots go (again, on the concave side). Cut the slots using tin snips. Make sure they are big enough for the tabs to go through, but small enough that they will be tight around the tabs. After the slots are cut, use the pliers to bend the rough peices back towards the concave side, as seen above. This is to make sure the grill will lay flat against the bumper.

Your grills should now look similar to the image above, which shows the upper front grill.

5. Putting the grills in: Put the grills in the same way you took them out. Make sure all the metal clips are back into place, and that they are pressed firmly against the grill.

The finished product!

Although the grills for the GK/3rd Gen. are different, the process is nearly identical. The only additions are that the front bumper be removed, and the mesh needs to be bent around the space where the grill goes. A glue gun is then used to secure the grill to the bumper.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

nice find. i might be able to try this soon. but it looks nice from what i can see from the pic.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:46 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>nice find</div>

BTW, he wrote the DIY lol.gif . I did this on mine a while ago. It looks good but the aluminum slowly loses its luster and starts to look very dull.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Oil Change Intervals

Wonder if you could get them chromed. That would look pretty sweet.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:09 PM

Default Re: DIY Mesh Grills

Or even powder coated
Old 08-12-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Re: clutch adjustment

My friends usualy either clear coat theirs, or use the chrome spay paint, then clear coat, and it ends up looking really sharp.

The reason I didnt paint them or anything is because they are so deep in the bumper that they are in alot of shadow, and I didnt think it would be noticable if I painted it.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: Oil Change Intervals

thanks for copying the things over. smile.gif

grills look pretty good. do you think you could cut some of the plastic on the bumper to push the mesh out further and make it more noticeable?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Re: raffles

aah.. my next project. i've actually been experimenting with some different mesh styles and such....................................... i may have a cure for the "underexposed" look.... gimme a few days

haha and ill have to find a digital camera smile.gif
Old 08-13-2004, 12:21 AM

Default Re: RSide Advanced Short Shifter GB 2 (5 Remaining)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibby01)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks for copying the things over. smile.gif

grills look pretty good. do you think you could cut some of the plastic on the bumper to push the mesh out further and make it more noticeable?</div>

Thats probably possible, the only thing that would be tricky is figuring out how to attatch it then. If you cut it closer to the bumper, the tabs that hold the grill on will be gone. Might be able to cut it out so new ones are left though.

I'd like to see it if someone did that! smile.gif
Old 08-13-2004, 12:24 AM

Default Re: DIY Mesh Grills

I did this SAME exact thing. With the same exact Gutter Guard that you got. I only spent $2 total...LOL

But yah, I took pictures and I took video of me doing the stuff. I did the grill on the top, the grill on the bottom, and the two grills on the bottom of the back bumper.

Easy easy easy easy mod! And EXCELLENT write-up, my friend. I probably couldn't have said it any better.