DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy: Megasquirt Ecu

Old 12-30-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Any updates or news to share regarding this from the last 2 months?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:07 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

no.
I'm still running this on my Tib. I have been tuning the warmup enrichments and afterstart enrichments as the temperatures get lower here. Igor is now running the MS on his custom S/C tib all tuned for spark and fuel.

Other thing to keep in mind is the the MSExtra code is now available for the MS2 CPU, which will allow higher resolution and idle control, among many other features.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

gotta love MS for the upgrades it has.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:26 AM

Vehicle: uhm..... N/A

BUMP!

The thing about MS is the fact that it has all the controlls to be a very well rounded engine managment system. But the person(s) installing, tuning, and opperating the system must first be intelligent enough to understand everything they are asking from it, and wanting it to do.

My friend who runs MS on his saturn turbo'd has blown 4 motors since he has installed the system, not because the system is flawed or sucks. Only because he is an idiot and refuses to use the system to its full potential, or use all of its capabilities.

If you spend the time the system will do everything but tune itself for you, the auto-tune is more or less for getting a good enough starting map to work off of. It will do what its told too. The system will shut the motor off due to over temp threshold, under/over oil pressure thresholds. Rev limiting, bost controll. Absolutly anything you want to do with it.

Please note something about your stock ECU and tuning a vehicle. Your stock ECU DOES <u>NOT</u> understand boost. At WOT the ECU is tuned to recognize 0 vac so the ECU depending on make will do one of two things. One of which is read off the absolute last line of the preset map and probably retard the timing as far as what the last line on the map is usually around -6 degrees. Or two, the factory never expected for this to happen but decided what the hell and added a HOLY SHIT YOUR AN IDIOT line. This line maxes the values for absolutly everything, and is designed to keep your motor in one peice.

Spark managment is just as important as fuel managment is. If not more so. It keeps you from having bendy rods and or valves or both if you just seem to have that kind of luck. Moral of the story, MS is one of the best/cheepest engine managment solutions next to an FMU, and a MSD spark controller. People need to stop piggybacking with a SAFCII and tune the damn thing if you ever wish to see real power.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:35 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Kia Sephia

I have a question:

We are currently reasearching the posibility of making a plug and play version of megasquirt that you can basically unplug the stock ecu and replace it with a megasquirt unit. This has been tested and verified on a Kia, not yet a Hyundai by us, but we will have it soon. My question is whether a complete standalone verison in the price of $500 ready to go is a good price.

I understand that you can build this yourself for less, but the hassles of understanding what you have and how it works and how to build it will be taken away, simply plug and play!!!, You may have to supply a used ecu that has a plug that can be used, it is suggest that you do this rather than use your own ecu so that you can remove the megasquirt should you decide to sell the car
Old 09-05-2008, 10:00 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Question for those who haven't used the plug and play megasquirt. the megamanual wiring diagram for the v3pcb shows ms pin 2 as the vr ground however funkypc lists the following grounds
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkypc @ Sep 22 2007, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Pin 7-19 (ground) on the MS to pin 6, 34, 55, 25. Wire at least 4 of the MS ground wires. I wired 8 - 2 into each stock wire.</div>
So for the MSI will the above work without pin 2? Anyone have the specific pin combination they used for grounding?

bump
Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Don't bump your post the same day man, give folks a chance to read it.

I don't understand why you are asking what to do, you quoted what to do, that's how your fellow Tiburon/MS owners have done it and have it working.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:28 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

I guess since the KFX plug-and-play Megasquirt is going down faster then the Titanic, I need to pull mine out of the closet and work on a plug and play one for the Accent.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

No it's not. Trust me, Mike, Bill, and I have been talking about it for the past 2 weeks to finish it up.

They will arrive presentlly.

A few changes needed to be made, the ones that were being done by Ray had a few issues, and we had to do the R&D almost completely over again.

If you didn't notice, I took mine out and sent it off to java a few weeks ago to help get this finished. To say it's gone down, hell, that was months ago, it's about done now. Finally.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

You can only rely on other's so much before you need to step up to the plate to make something happen. I'm glad to see you guys have been working on it, but the waiting game gets old after awhile. Anyways, I broke out the old Megasquirt, started finishing the solder connections, and pull out the ECU wiring diagram to finish for fuel, spark, and rev limiter.