DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy: Megasquirt Ecu

Old 09-22-2007, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i read solidly about this thing for a good couple months, and am pretty sure it has knock sensor functionality. it is a full standalone, but i require emissions and obd bull, so i am staying with the stock ecu and will be using the ms as a piggyback.

it's cheaper than any other piggybacks, and honestly i dont feel like putting in more work if it will yield nothing but potential extra headaches. just a simple map sensor and a second set of injectors and injector bungs welded in an intake manifold(which i already have) and ill be good to go. stock driveability off boost, megasquirt kicks in on boost.

perfect and cheap.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:48 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

ya, that makes sense if you need OBD emissions testing. Thats what attracted me to the MS - that if you know how to solder it is WAY cheaper than any other option- piggyback or standalone.

Radu, the engine has a 60-2 wheel, which counts 60 teeth and 2 missing teeth on every revolution so it knows exactly where the engine is at all times. The MS can definitely control timing - adjust timing under boost, temperature changes, rev limit, etc.

And FYI, I am getting a CEL for having the MS control injectors - Injector circuit not complete. You should be able to ground the ECU injector wires out with resistors to get rid of the CEL, but that doesn't bother me. (if there was emissions, it would)
Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Correct me if I'm wrong here: It knows the exact position of the crank at all times, but for every crankshaft position there are two possibilities of where the engine cycle is. I mean say that position 0 corresponds to cyl #1 and #2 at TDC. There are two possibilities - #1 just finished the compression stroke and #2 just finished the exhaust stroke, or the other way around. The crank sensor can't distinguish between these, so you can't have proper (not-wasted) timing and/or real sequential injection unless you add a camshaft sensor or something. This is how I understand that the ECU works, and this is how MS will have to work as well unless you add sensors.. It's not important, it doesn't matter that much, I'm just trying to understand smile.gif

By the way, how is the revlimit enforced? Is it only by cutting off injectors? That is, if you keep the ECU and allow it to control timing, and only use MS for injectors, will you bypass the revlimit?

Radu
Old 09-23-2007, 08:40 AM

that is correct, cyl 1 and 4 will be at TDC at the same time and cyl 2 and 3 will be, but on different cycles.
and yes, you can have a soft rev limiter that retards the timing, and then a hard rev limiter that cuts spark and/or fuel.
the stock ECU limits by cutting fuel, not cutting spark. I rev past the stock limiter and I am using the stock ECU for spark right now.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:15 PM

I definitley want to see some pics... I would seriously consider boosting if you all get this perfected, why are our ECU's so hard to tune is it just the availability or is there something funny about them... I hate honda boys they make turbo-ing look so easy with their plug and play ECU's.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:47 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

bump i'm very intrested in this megasquirt option. does anyone else have any other experinces with it? pics or storys? this would be WAAYYYY cheaper then going dual rail/ smt6/altier turbo box. MS with bigger injectors lets me free up money i can use elsewhere in the build. let me know what your guys thoughts on this is?

also how would this MS work out with a cvvt beta 2.5 maf based? i hear that the problem with those is A. the maf and B. the vvt causes a choke out or something on deceleration? thats what some beta2 xd guys were saying to me.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:23 PM

Lots of information on megasquirt.info. Read up!
Maf isnt a problem, as the MS comes with a built in MAP sensor to replace the MAF.
I just finished installing my wideband and tuning the top end properly. I was running like 10:1 at 5500 lol.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:48 PM

Funky i found this didnt know if it'd be useful, has his settings for everything. just click on screen shots>

http://hyundairacer.com/category/megasquirt
Old 11-15-2007, 10:32 PM

Thanks for posting that man. When I was setting mine up, I found his blog but he didnt have any of that posted yet. Looks like he is finally helping the community out as well! Most of his settings are the same as mine. There are a few things I would do different but every bit of info helps. Plus, I think he has a Beta 1.6 or something.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:29 AM

Yeah I couldnt find any info on his car as far as his engine goes. How is the megasquirt tuning going ? Im not a pioneer so I dont wanna buy one without someone else having it work fine first smile.gif