DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy: Jack Up Your Car

Old 02-21-2006, 08:23 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

ALWAYS put your vehical in gear and lock your E-brake when jacking your vehical up, and use <u>jack stands</u>

Rear jack point: for use with a floor jack:

side jack point, one on each corner:
This is where you stick your stock jack. there's four places, one for each tire.

If you do not use the side jack points, this will happen:

The front picture is kind of dim. It's right behind the tow point. It is designed for a bottle jack, but a standard or shop floor jack will function just fine.

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">Jacking your vehcial up with a floor jack</span>
Place wheel chocks in front of vehical

Rear Jacking point

Vehical on jackstands (you just can't see the Rear Passenger side one)

Note: You should use jackstands and never go further then 2 clicks from the end. Always use the steel reenforced areas of the vehical. Ensure that all 4 corners of the jackstand are touching the ground.

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">Using a lift ramp
</span>Have a buddy ground guide you onto a lift ramp ensure your vehical is centered, use wheel chocks, and lift your vehical up

Wheel chocks are your friends and they prevent accidents.

Lift your vehical to the desired hight and then go past that until you hear another set of clicks. The clicking point is where your vehical will settle when fully raised

Lower the lift until it comes to rest on the hard stops (clicks)

Should look like this when finished

Remember: When you get to desired hight, go a little higher and then operate the release to let the lift land on the catches

When it's time to lower the vehical, lift it up a little, then operatate the catch release and lower the vehical

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">4 point lift</span>

A 4 point lift is the easiest way to get your vehicle up in the air and allows you full access to the underside of the car.

1. position is everything! Ensure the lift pads are under all 4 jacking points.

2. lift the vehicle 6 inches from the ground, then verify all points are steady and in the center of the pads.

3. lift the vehicle up to working height, verify all the pads look steady before working.

4. work on anything you like!

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Now go jack up your car!</span>
Old 02-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I just want to add, that for the front, I use the spot directly in front of the tow hook. It has two large bolts, and I place the cup of the floor jack around one of those bolts (or between if the cup is small enough)

When jacking up the car, if it feels wobbly or unstable AT ALL, lower it and jack it up from another spot
Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ALWAYS, and i can't stress this enough, especially typing:

USE JACK STANDS!!!!! drillsergeant.gif
Old 02-21-2006, 09:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Yes def use jack stands I also use cinderblocks sometimes because I am being safe. I try to make my tib light, but I cant bench 2500 or so

O yea and dont jack the car on the unibody where the floor where ure feet go. It creates a hump u have to hammer out
Old 02-28-2006, 06:13 PM
TDA

lol doh I did that "this is what happens if you dont use the jack point" thing too... now yours looks just like mine!! laugh.gif

Good to hear I'm not alone in that... laugh.gif
Old 02-28-2006, 07:39 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I just bought a couple of ramps and drive the Tib up and down on those when needed. Very handy for oil changes. $35 at Autozone.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I was going to buy a set, but I don't know if the lowered tibs can get on it.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:30 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ My oil changes involve the removal of the front bumper.....then clearing the ramps is no problem fing02.gif
Old 03-01-2006, 05:21 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ doh! Just put some boards on the ramps to make them a slighter incline or put your ramps at the top of a slope. Removing the front bumper is a bit extreme every 3000 miles. Our cars don't do ramps well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TDA @ Feb 28 2006, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>lol doh I did that "this is what happens if you dont use the jack point" thing too... now yours looks just like mine!! laugh.gif

Good to hear I'm not alone in that... laugh.gif</div>

i actually tried to rest it on a jackstand there. I didn't have room because i jacked it up from the side with a floor jack. At the time i didn't know about the rear point. So i stuck my floor jack there and it bent the metal. Always use the reenforced areas of the vehical and the crossmembers to prevent this.

Hitting the shop this weekend. I'm going to take some pictures of a lift, and I'll do a DIY on rear struts.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:04 PM
TDA

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>please don't quote above post, thanks</div>

Yup..... Exact same story as me.... I was actually using the emergency jack together with jackstands... I put up the car using the jack point, not quite enough room for the jackstand, so put it close... but guess not close enough...