DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy: How To Pack And Ship Large Items

Old 03-08-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, I've had enough of getting packages from some of you guys with NO protective wrap (Oddesitpashka, Speedstate.com), or large heavy items with no support in a box with small plastic scratchable or breakable parts (Tibbychick), so I figured I'd do a simple DIY on how to pack, protect, and send some LARGE parts.

Folks on here will wait forever to find the "Perfect box" for shipping a spoiler and such. There is NO need for this. Get some packaging materials at Officemax, Office Depot, or Sams Club, and PACK THE STUFF SO IT DOESN'T GET DAMAGED!!!

I had a broken spoiler (Speedstate.com can suck my nuts) I sold to 01Importshark and Fedex refused to pack it for me because of the size. This spoiler was shipped from Speedstate.com , in Canada, to New Mexico, wrapped in one thin layer of foam wrap (Like stereo equipment), and placed in a large plastic bag.

THAT'S IT.

Another box I recieved yesterday had a bunch of nice interior and exterior plastic parts in it, a few in plastic bags (shopping bags) with stuff with METAL BRACKETS, and a ALTERNATOR in a plastic bag. No packing, nothing to hold stuff in place, just one huge slushfest.

Here is the DIY on how to do it correctly.

<u>MATERIALS NEEDED</u>

1. Box(es).
2. Bubblewrap or Packing Peanuts. ($12 for a huge roll of bubblewrap at Office Depot, peanuts are cheap too.)
3. Support Material (sections of HARD cardboard, broken up styrofoam supports from boxes, ect.)
4. STURDY PACKING TAPE (LOTS of it.)
5. Sharp knife or razor.

<u>PROCESS</u>

1. Make sure you get a box big enough. Actually, I should say "Bigger" enough. No, you won't easilly find a box to fit a wing in without using tons of peanuts, so instead, get a box that can be MADE big enough. If a box has 4 sides and they measure 18 inches each, you can open it flat and get 72 inches in length total.

2. Open the box up and look for the seam where the box was glued together. Use a sharp knife to help you pull it apart at the seam. Be careful not to rip the box.

3. Lay your box flat on the ground with the "Bent" sections UP.

4. Get the item to be packed, loosely fill any voids in the area.

5. Wrap any protrusions, ends, and corners with at least 2 layers of bubble wrap. Make it tight and tape it either partially ON TO the item or around an end to hold the wrap in place during packing and shipping.

6. Wrap the rest of the item with one layer of bubble wrap, making sure everything is covered. After it is secure, return the other direction with another layer of wrap.

7. Place your item on the box, with the flattest side down. Center it on the box. Place any other items to ship along with it inside new voids created, make sure they are also wrapped.

8. Use support material to help fill voids and hold everything in place, also, it helps to increase the stability and durability of the box.

9. Fold the edges of the box up and see if it will completely cover your part. If not, it's not a big deal. Just cut the sides off of another box and lay them on top.

10. As best you can, tape the bent up sides over the top to eachother. After you have a few strips of tape to hold everything in place, get a helper or put some weight onto the sides to hold them together while you tape down here. Stretch the tape some and make LONG PASSES around the edges of the box.

11. Using your sharp knife or razor, cut the end portions at an angle as shown so you can fold them in and tuck them under the object slightly. This will create a nice pocket to hold it. You MAY have to slit the edge of the box some to get it to fold back nicely.

12. After tucking the sides and end up, use your helper again to hold the box tight while you apply several strips of tape to hold the end to the top. Run tape along the seam, and overlap it all by about 1/2. 4 or 5 long pieces of tape should be used here to reinforce it.

13. Once ONE end is finished, stand up the box on that end and tap it a few times to make sure everything is settled in that direction.

14. Lay it back down, repeat 11 and 12 to finish the other side, cut off any excess box.

15. Reinforce the ends with a bit more tape, and run some more tape along any creases, cuts, or openings. The item shouldn't shift in the box at all.

Go ship it you lazy bastard.

This box, via Fedex Ground, weighed 11 pounds and cost $19 to ship in 3 days via fedex ground.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Good DIY Redz. I remember building a crate basically for the hood I shipped Chris. It was a pain but I wanted to be sure it would make it there in good condition
Old 03-08-2006, 10:43 AM

yeah i hate crappy packing. i got a set of hubs/drums/calipers/etc all thrown in a big box with nothing else inside...i mean nothing, no paper, no foam, no cardboard..the shit basically broke through the box..

crappy packing..stop being lazy people!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

seriously... it's sad that REDZ had to do this DIY.

My girlfriend used to work at Mailboxes Etc. / UPS Store... I've seen her pack and she can pack ANYTHING and build boxes like nobody else.

My girlfriend packs better boxe than you fools!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:11 PM

I bought a roll of that bubble wrap from Office Depot, and it was the best investment I've ever made. It lasts for a long time, too. Recently I shipped 2 subs that weighed 37 pounds each. I just wrapped them up real good with the bubble wrap, stuck them each in their own box with some newspaper padding, and they both arrived just fine.

Also another tip- when you get a package with styrofoam peanuts, save them for re-use later. I just dump them in a big plastic trash bag.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

my shipping department:

Old 03-08-2006, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

notice my name not on that list cool.gif

i've got an advantage though, I get a couple boxes in everyday, so I end up throwing away more packing supplies than i use cause I don't use them fast enough.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:20 PM

That's how I do it for big items.

Too bad there's not a DIY for common sense. wink1.gif

I also like to save all the bubble wrap and peanuts from things I buy online, as well as good boxes. All can be reused.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

can I copy paste this onto the kspec forums?