DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

DIY Graphics Install

Old 03-21-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Graphics Install

Ok this will be updated further with pics later on. If you have any questions let me know. There are 2 methods to apply decals. Dry and Wet. Dry is the better of the 2 but can result in more bubbles. I only use the dry method but can explain the wet method if you all need me too!

This is for Large banner type decals.

Its best to install all graphics when its not windy and temp is around 70 or better.

1. Start off by Cleaning the surface real well. If applying to glass use a razor blade to scrape off any residue that is on glass. I have found that windex multi-purpose works pretty well. Let Dry

2. Line up decal where you want it and put a piece of tape at the top center and bottom center of decal.

3. Peel back one side of decal to the center and cut backing paper off. Then from center out apply decal to surface with a little bit of force. Then repeat for other side.

4. After all of decal is applied to the surface take and squeegee over the decal a few times to make sure its stuck to surface good.

5. After step 4 is complete remove application tape from surface slowly at a 45 degree angle making sure that decal does not stick to application tape.

6. Decal should be stuck to surface and looking good. Decals normally will stick depending on installation, weather, and if surface was well cleaned for a min of 3 years sometimes less.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wet method
Follow same instructions as above but before taking the backing off the decal wet down the surface with a mist spray of soapy water. Then sqeegee water out from behind decal. Some use a heat gun to advance the application but its not a must. Let dry for 20-30 min then remove application tape and your done.

If you have any questions please let me know. I will add some pictures later this week time permitting.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:06 PM

You may want to mention that it's best to do it when it's warm outside usually around 70 degrees or a little warmer. Tends to make things much easier.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^ Looks like he added that. Would be a good idea to explain the wet method to because dry is great for banners but when you do bigger decals such as logos you get bubbles very easily. I know this from experience. Good write-up though!
Old 03-21-2005, 02:44 PM

I use the wet method for anything bigger than 5x12 (or a decal that is solid, not just lettering).

If you dont have application spray, soapy water in a spray bottle works well. It works the same way as explained above but after cleaning and before putting the decal on, you use the spray bottle to apply a light mist to the surface where you are applying the decal (or you can mist the back of the decal).

This helps with both ligning up the decal (the moisture lets you lift the decal if needed) and with applying without air bubbles.

You squeegee the same way but let the decal dry for about 20 minutes (more depending on how wet you made it). Pull the backing paper slowly. If the decal starts lifting, re-squeegee and wait a bit longer. Repeat until the backing paper is all the way off.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:24 PM

Yup thats the wet method. Ill try to get some pics of it on here before too long. Should be putting some more decals on my car if it would stay warm enough here to do it.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, I think my windsheild one needs the wet method.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:33 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

^^your mom needs the wet method, lol. My new FR banner has acne, I wanted to do it with water, but I dont have anything to use to push the water out underneath, my friend is a tinter and did my last crazy banner, but that shop sucks so it came off recently. It said AAW in flames, kinda cool, but super intricate.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:41 PM

^ Of course you had something to get the water out... Ive used credit cards and licenses. Works like a champ in a pinch wink1.gif
Old 03-23-2005, 12:22 PM

Yea anything semi hard and flat will work. Ive used cards, rulers, and anything else i could find at the time. If you use the wet method try to use a hair dryer to help get the water out and help it dry and stick to the surface better!