DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy Double Din Install

Old 07-15-2006, 10:24 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">This is a DIY on mounting your new double din radio into the stock hyundai double din slot. I followed guidance from other members, which told me to shave off a little at a time. it's pretty easy if you know what to expect.</span>

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">You will need:</span>
Pliers
Dremel with sanding/routing/grinding bits
Screwdriver
Corona w/Lime
Project time - 2 hours

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">Mounting HW</span>
the plates on the side of the stereo to hold it in place need to be modified SLIGHTLY to work. There's a pin Hyundia put on there to keep it in place. it is not a standard feature on most stereos. It will stop you from putting in your screws. You need to use pliers to bend it flat. Just grab on with a pair of pliers and squeeze it. The screws will hold it in place just fine on your new deck

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">DIN surround</span>
Ok, basically Hyundai came up with their own proprietary version of a double din surround for our vehicals. The ends are too round. To install a double din stereo you need to chop the corners of the stereo surround square. I used a dremmel. The entire din mount is somewhat rounded. You should make your cuts about 1" by 1" square corners.

1. mark the area to be removed
2. dremel- grind out a large chunk of it with a wheel attachment
3. dremel- route out smaller areas
4. dremel- sand smooth

Theres alot of rumors that say it's not wide enough or not tall enough. it's perfect, just with rounded edges. Chop them off like in the picture and you'll be fine using your new double din radio with the old mounting hardware

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">Trim Ring</span>
The edges of the stereo surround poke out and do not allow for a trim ring to be instaled.
Our member fonseca had luck with sanding the edges of his trim ring down and glueing it in place.
If you need more help with the trim, fonseca suggests that you can look at this guy's work.

Viola

Now, to finish the job and make the stereo look like it belongs there... I molded my trim ring into place. and got rid of that wierd ridge that surrounds the stereo. Here's how I did it.

You will need from your local auto store:
Bondo glass
glazing putty
filler primer
paint
120, 300, 400 grit sand paper

Mold the trim ring into the stereo surround

1. Cut away extra material from your stereo surround to fit your trim ring. Just keep cutting it and replacing it until the trim ring snaps into place on the stereo.At this point you can cut the clips on the trim ring so it won't stick to the stereo anymore.

2. carefully glue the trim ring in place to hold it so you can remove it from the car.

4. then use Bondo Glass to fill in the surrounding area

5. sand down the bondo glass with 120 grit sand paper, then progress to 300 and then finally 400.

5. use glazing putty to fill in the high spots. use it like you were spreading peanut butter on a surface but keep it thin.

6. Sand down the glazing putty with 400 grit sand paper

7. Paint that sucker

8. There we go, a pretty surface to stick a logo or something.

Note: don't be afraid to remove the cup holder and ashtray when doing this. It makes everything easier and you won't have to repair so much if you mess up and splatter the stuff everywhere. I learned the hard way. But the cup holder does an excellent job of keeping the unit upright.

Total project time: 10 hours (not including watching paint dry)

Now drive your tiburon (preferably naked) down the street to your local McDonalds or drive-thru of your choice and reap the compliments of your new head unit wink1.gif . Does anyone else get random compliments at drive-thrus here?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:06 PM
DTN

If you need more help with the trim, fonseca suggests that you can look at this guy's work.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Were you drunk when you posted this?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:17 AM
DTN

^^ no, I felt that it was a pretty self-explanitory mod. Being as every reference to installing a 2.0 DIN HU on this site has reference to making the din taller or wider, or other forms of misinformation, this needed to be done. Usually i'd post better pix, but I did not take a before picture. If you're reffering to my 31337 microsoft paint skillz, see the aproved DIY list post which requires DIYs to have pictures
Old 07-18-2006, 08:33 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

No no no, not that, you usually spell better.

Pliars.

Stereo.

Corona.

Screwdriver.

Dremel.

Hyundai.

Proprietary.

Gluing.

Drive Through.

LOL Just wondering, I know you well enough that it looked like drunken posting.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:05 PM
DTN

heh... uh... well guess i better prufe-reid it.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:51 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Jul 15 2006, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Viola</div>

LOL!!! lmao.gif lmao.gif lmao.gif
Old 08-15-2006, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Added to hyundaipedia.

http://hyundai.wikia.com/wiki/Double_din_install
Old 05-12-2007, 11:05 PM
DTN

Updated this thread to include DIY pix for molding stereo surround.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:19 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i just came back from florida. oh my god the drive thru girl was soooooooooooooooo hot. she looked at my car and then me and i held her hand briefly as our eyes sadly parted.

man that came out perfect! what the hell glazing putty? i tried so hard to get the surface flat enough for paint and i can't do squat so i just used wood glue. i know it sounds stupid but it worked. so is this magical glazing putty easy to sand flat down so it doesn't look ripply when painted?