DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy Clean Your Pcv Oil Drain

Old 01-09-2008, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just gotten a new intake recently (injen) and removed my AEM intake because my filter always got wet from the rain. When I removed the intake there was a lot of oil on the inside of the intake before the MAF... but it was more like a grease. I'm guessing my pcv oil drain is clogged? I do have 106,000 miles on my car haha.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:30 PM

Anyone have any info on reinstalling the valve cover? What I like to hear know about is installing a new gasket and where the RTV sealant goes. I couldn't find any info in the shop manual (no specifics) but the Autzone guide gives a nice diagram. What it doesn't mention is if any sealant goes under the spark plug hole gaskets. I never changed the valve cover myself before and don't want to mess it up.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Search. If you don't find anything on Valve Covers and installing them, you searched wrong, search again.

I've never used any RTV and have had my valve cover off a dozen times or so. No leaks. It doesn't come with RTV stock, so I don't know why you'd need it.

Shouldn't this be a new thread?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Well that explains it. I installed a bad@ss separator on my PCV line and I get literally drops of oil per month, whereas some people get like a cup a week or whatever.

If you get a lot of oil in your external catch can, do the cleaning described in this DIY.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Search. If you don't find anything on Valve Covers and installing them, you searched wrong, search again.

I've never used any RTV and have had my valve cover off a dozen times or so. No leaks. It doesn't come with RTV stock, so I don't know why you'd need it.

Shouldn't this be a new thread?</div>

I searched for this topic and this was the only thread where this topic was remotely discussed. Besides I thought this post was relevant because reinstalling the valve cover is part of the procedure anyway. Can you explain what you mean by searching wrong?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:02 PM
AcN

Got a little problem smile.gif

There's what appears to be a silicon joint... What kind of joint is that exactly ? Mine cracked and was tearing apart while removing the separator from the valve cover... Looks like some silicon we use in bathrooms lol, but need to know to fix it ^^
Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

. . . and the joint is located _________ . . .

^ you left out the rest of your post.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:26 AM
AcN

oops, sorry >_____<

the joint is located on the separator, on the edges, inner face smile.gif

as seen on DTN's pic, it's the black lining (mine was reddish and dried to death)
Old 04-30-2010, 07:15 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I installed a catch can on my PCV and have not yet cought a drop of oil. I originally installed it on my breather but when I cought nothing, I changed it to the PCV. Seriously. A catch can is a worthless add-on if you have a clean PCV drain. The PCV drain functions as an internal catch can.

Also, I drilled a hole right above the PCV drain and filled it with a generic plug from the "Help!" section at Advanced Auto Parts. The plug allows me to swab with a pipe cleaner. I should post a pic or something.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:19 AM
AcN

DTN, any idea what is the material used in the joint shown on your pic just above ? The black lining at 3mm from the edge tongue.gif*

Anyway, nice to know a nitrous car doesn't need a catch can with a clean PCV drain