DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy = O2 Wire Harness Extensions

Old 03-24-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I bet I know the problem. There is 2 wires that are the SAME color. 2 whites. I bet you connected the wrong 2.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:54 AM

I'll toss it up on one of the car hoists again, but I am pretty sure everything is perfect. It never hurts to check too much.

I am going to move my bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor to the collector anyways. I'll do this at the same time.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:55 AM

Did you cut all the wires at once and start splicing?

I'd also check the readings on both sides of the splices.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:34 AM

I checked the readings on both sides and they were so very close. Probably the solder made the slight difference.

Yes. I probably did cut all the wires at once, but that shouldn't matter.

The harness wire did not have two white wires like the O2 sensor has.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Nicely written

But I only had to extend my secondary O2 senor, and i just cut the sensor wires and soldered in extensions making sure i didnt confuse the white wires. I did a quality job and i have no CELs, i chose this way so i could solder from the comfort of my kitchen (it was cold out) and i didnt have to cut the harness wires
Old 03-28-2007, 03:58 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Only thing I can think of is the Bosch O2 sensors are not functioning correct. I had Carquest order me another set (warranty) to make sure the first set was not faulty. Still the CEL is there.</div>

same sh*t here. i think it's the bosch... and redz, i did the same exact crap, the two whites i switched them around and still "low bank efficiency main cat" cel code P0422 which could only be the second O2 sensor.

i bought a factory sensor so i'll do it all the f*ck over again and tell you guys if it works.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:51 AM

Thank you for posting this DIY now I just got to get it done. But from what I hear on the 2001 tib I shouldn't have to extend the primary one only the second. Is that correct?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:06 AM

Hm for anyone else is their secondary O2 sensor connector jammed into the transmission mount? you say put it over their to keep it out of the way but my connector is balls deep in that mount and I havent been able to pull it out.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 08:07 AM

Depends where your o2 bungs are at. You need the PRIMARY (First o2 sensor) BEFORE any Cat's, and the SECONDARY (Second o2 Sensor) AFTER any cats. Since my first cat is at the end of my header/downpipe, I extended it to there.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:15 PM

I do not know what is going on with the silver car. The check engine light has been on since I installed the header three years ago. The car just got 34 mpg on a trip we went on so it isn't affecting mileage as most people with automatic do not get that good. It doesn't seem to hurt the performance either. I am just tired of everyone saying "nice car, how come your CEL is on?"

It gives me the two codes:

'low voltage circuit: Bank 1, Sensor 1'
and
'low voltage circuit: Bank 1, Sensor 2'

I do not know what else to do with this other than unplug the light. I do not want to do that, because I'd like it done correctly, and still have my CEL actually function and light up when something is wrong. Seeing it has been on for so long I might as well unplug it as I can't tell when new codes come in anyways due to the light already always being on.
This whole thing is fishy and makes me wonder because the only thing I have done to Sensor 1 is move it from the header primary tube to the collector (like REDZ did in the first post). Why/how should that cause any sort of code.

I have tried several things and rechecked my work (wiring) at least a dozen times and again everything is spot on 100%. It is merely impossible to mess it up anyways as all four wires are different colored (remember I spliced my cars wiring instead of the O2 sensor wiring).

As I already stated I thought it may have been the Bosch O2 sensors, however I swapped my factory O2 sensors from my red Tibby (no CEL) to my silver Tibby and I am getting the same codes. I am now at a loss. The new factory Hyundai O2 sensors will be here early next week and they will go in the silver Tibby instead of the red Tibby as originally planned. This will eliminate any O2 sensor issues.

Maybe I should desolder my connections and use the wire crimps like REDZ did? Maybe I will try a different size wire?

I think the Catalytic converter broke apart, but that should not cause thos codes on both sensors... back to the drawing board...