DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Changing Your Tires

Old 07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

So you just did a maaaaaaaaaaAAaaaad tyte burnout and now you need new rubber... Well, I did just that and I changed my own tires today for the first time. I am no pro, but the people who helped me are pros. Those of you who do this every day, please, feel free to add your experience.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Introduction:</span>

Basically changing a car's tire is the same as changing a bike's tire. It is just under alot more pressure and has the capabilities to take off your finger or cause damage to you if you do not do it properly. Even though this procedure uses large pieces of equipment, they must be moved precicely or you risk damaging the tire. Low profile tires on nice rims can be a PITA even for mechanics who do it daily!

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">scope:</span> This DIY will give you an overview of changing a tire. It is not a replacement for shop manuals or experience.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Pull the tires off</span>
1. jack up your car http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=14161&hl=
2. remove wheels

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">removal of old rubber</span>

1. remove valve stem to facilitate
2. Break the bead on the back of the tire first by placing the bead breaker against the rubber and not touching the rim itself, then activate the hydraulic arm.
3. Continue around the tire.
4. Do the same to the front side of the tire.
5. Lock tire in place on removal machine outside up.
6. Place the removal device on the edge of the rim
7. Pry the tire up on top of the removal device
8. Spin the tire so the removal device flips the edge of the tire up and out of the rim.
9. Repeat the same procedure with the other side of the tire.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">installation of new rubber</span>

1. Lube up the bead of the tire to make it slide on easier
2. Lock the tire in place on the installation machine
3. Place the tire on top of the rim
4. Fanagle the lip onto the tire as best you can. Mine just slipped right on, but you may need press it onto the tire.
5. Emplace arms one on the rim, a roller on the tire, and the 3rd on the rim and tire. Not all machines have all of this, but it's nice and will do low profiles with ease.
6. Let the machine spin the rim and put the tire on for you
7. Blow up the tire, but make sure you place it in a blowout cage or try to stay a safe distance from the rim while you blow it up.
8. Reinstall the valve stem
9. Fill up tire to proper PSI
10. Ballance your wheel
11. Reinstall your wheel.

Enjoy the comfort and handling of the new tires! I am!