DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy Change Axel Seal

Old 07-07-2007, 09:57 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

When I was changing my clutch, my axel seal went bad. I decided to change out the axel seal yesterday. I figured I'd take pix because this is a 1 hour job with $5 in parts, and the dealer would charge about $100 or more.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Introduction:</span>
The axel seal is responsible for holding the gear oil in the transmission. It is a plastic piece with rubber on the outside and a spring that seals the rubber against the axel. This is an easy project and should take no more then an hour or 2 if you spend alot of time cleaning up the dripped oil slung all over the place from your last drive on the highway.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Scope:</span>
This DIY will cover changing the axel seal. It is not a replacement for shop manuals or experience

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">You will need
</span>Durables:
19mm wrench
17mm wrench (to do the 2 wrench thing)
17mm deep socket
12mm socket
prybar
breaker bar
lug wrench
plyers or vice grips
Expendables:
new axel seal
75W90 gear oil

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Remove the old seal:
</span>
1. Jack up your car http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=14161
2. using a prybar, pop the axel from the transmission and allow gear oil to drain into a pan. It will only move out about 1/2 inch until you disconnect the hub from the suspension. You can save about 1/2 of the gear oil by not draining it from the drain plug. You've already got gear oil on the transmission and crossbar anyways so who cares?
3. Remove the tire
4. Remove 2 17mm bolts and nuts from the strut
5. Remove 1 12MM bolt securing the brake line to the strut
6. Remove cotter pin and 17mm castle nut that secures the steering actuator to the hub
7. Gently pull the axel out of the transmission completely
8. Using the lug wrench or the braker bar you can gently pop the seal out, but be sure not to go in deep enough to scratch anything.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Replace the axel seal:</span>

1. Replace the old seal with the new one and give it a few good taps to get it in there.
2. Realign the axel into the hole
3. Push on the top part of the hub, where the strut mounts. until you hear a click and the axel is secured into the transmission
4. Reinstall all bolts removed
5. Replace your tire
6. Refill the gear oil by removing the 17MM bolt on the front and squeezing a bottle of your favorite gear oil into the hole.
7. Lower your car

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">That wasn't so hard was it?</span>