DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

BBTB Install & Throttle Body Coolant Bypass Mod (FREE!)

Old 06-15-2004, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oops.gif Forgive me for askin a rather dumb question but, is there any damage that could be caused from doing this bypass? I live in Louisiana so its always hot as hell here, in the winter its pretty rare that it gets below freezing temps. Would I need to reconnect the hoses in the winter months or is this something I could do once and leave it alone?

p.s. REDZ, are you a Dj
Old 06-15-2004, 12:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'm not a DJ...

Yet.

LOL

Damage? None at all. If you are doing it on the OEM TB you may want to plug the nipples and leave some fluid in there so it doesn't rust, but I don't think it would anyways. Brass and Aluminum.

In Louisiana, you can leave it modified all year round.

Welcome to the site BTW.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:43 PM

Whoa this thread is old but I was wanting to do this and the pics dont work... Redz do you still have them?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I don't know if Redz still has the pics, but I might be able to explain it to you.
If you look at your throttle body, directly underneath it the are two hoses connected to the bottom of it. 1 for coolant in from the head and 1 for coolant back out to the head. Follow those 2 hoses about 6-8 inches to the left where they conenct to the head.Unclamp either hose (only ONE) from the throttle body. Doesn't matter which. Follow the hose that is still connected to the throttle body back to the head and unclamp it from the head. Take the one from the TB that's still connected to it and connect it to the open end where you pulled off the other hose. Now on the head do the same. Connect the open end of the hose, that's still connected to the head, to where you took the other one off from the head. This now recirculates the coolant being pumped out of the head back into the head and not into the tb where it heats the tb up and the air going through it.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:00 PM

THNX man, is it a noticable difference? I would imagine not, so what does this help?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 PM

maybe not to noticeable but that hose is there to run coolant by the tb. the coolant is warm thus warming up the air going into the throttle body and intake manifold. warmer air=less power
Old 10-03-2006, 09:07 PM

I would say it's not noticeable. But anything you can do to not heat up the air going into the intake manifold, the better. WTH, it's free and takes 5 mins. tops. Phenolic spacers have a much bigger impact. But they're about $50 and a bit more involved to install.

Just be careful if you live in a cold climate (freezing) area. Your throttle body may stick with out the hot "coolant" running through it in the winter. That's what the purpose of the coolant running through it is. But if you live in a warmer climate, you shouldn't have to worry about it ever sticking because of temperature.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 PM

Ok thanks yall, Ill do that right now since Im changing my spark plugs and wires anyway, sounds easy and I get what your saying now that I looked at it, lol. Just would have been double easy if the pics were up smile.gif Oh and Im definatly not worried about freeze up here in Texas, lol. Its too damn hot here so anything to cool the air down is well worth it, lol.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I have the pics, PM me and I'll fix it tomorrow.

Keep in mind, Phenolic spacers don't do shit if you don't do this to begin with.

Thanks for PMing me to remind me guys.

sad.gif

Fixed.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:44 AM

I did the throttle body coolant bypass, subtle, but noticeable after driving some distance... engine doesnt feel 'tired' after a while. Nice one.

I have a question regarding the loopback though, if that single tube is bent too tightly and thus pinched... does it not prevent the flow of the coolant?

I avoided that possibilty by using both tubes to form a bigger loop and used a little metal joiner.