DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Accent LC2 Mesh Grille Install

Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Accent LC2 Mesh Grille Install

By attist178 - Updated with pics hosted on HA's server

Finally, a permanant write-up for the popular Mesh Grille DIY modification. It's a great little project, adding a whole new look for the front profile of the car.

You will need:[*]A very short Phillip's-head screwdriver (or Phillip's-head drill bit, held by pliers)[*]A regular Phillip's-head screwdriver[*]Gutter Guard (bought at Lowe's for like $4)[*]Wire cutters to cut the mesh

Locate and take out these 8 screws that hold the grille assembly to the bumper:
(from the top):

(bottom 2):

(2 on right side):

(2 on left side):

At this point, the entire grille assembly should just fall out. I don't have pictures from before I took the painted grille off of the black backing, but there are some 6-8 little gold screws holding the painted grille on to the black backing (unscrew them from the back of the black backing). After all of these screws are out, slowly (but firmly) press the tabs holding the painted grille on through down the length of the grille, and carefully and gradually work your hand down the length of the grille assembly, between the 2 pieces. If you do it right, it's actually pretty easy to separate the 2 pieces.

Ok so I went to Home Depot and found rolls of Gutter Guard, but they only had one size: 6"x20'...so that's the stuff I bought.

This stuff:

Here's some layout pictures:

Flip the grille piece over and lay it out over a cut length of mesh. Then, holding everything straight and still with one hand, use your other hand to tightly fold one end of the mesh over the end of the grille piece. Cut small holes in the mesh for the original screw posts (do this well and tight, as this will hold the mesh on in the end).

Fold the other end of the mesh over just like the first end, slightly stretching it before folding it.

Now, take either end of the now-folded-over mesh, and really stretch the stuff. Fold around again, and cut new holes for the screw posts.

When you're all folded and secured, trim the top of the mesh, and fold back the bottom edge of the mesh as well as possible.

Put the entire thing back on, stand back, and love your car's new look!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent

As a side note, I did this with 2 differences.

1. Make sure you can easily reach the hood release, I had to cut mine away a little, but it's un-noticable when the hood is closed.

2. I also used the "gutter guard" but I got an approx. 3 ft X 8 in piece that is thicker than the roll shown above. So I couldn't wrap it around the grill backing. What I did was I spaced out 6 screws evenly 2 are hidden under the hood. Then trimmed the mesh around the grill backing.

I'll post pics when I can get my hands on a camera.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Tucson Sport AWD

pics of grille on my old 05 gt

Old 04-29-2009, 07:15 PM

Vehicle: 2003 elantra, Soon to be beta swapped 01 lc hatch

WOW! that makes me want to fab the LC2 bumper into my LC! I love that lower grill/foglight area.

As for the mesh up top? It looks tacky IMO. I'm not hating it's just that It would look better with some heavier duty mesh.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:50 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Tucson Sport AWD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slyderdai @ Apr 29 2009, 09:15 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>WOW! that makes me want to fab the LC2 bumper into my LC! I love that lower grill/foglight area.

As for the mesh up top? It looks tacky IMO. I'm not hating it's just that It would look better with some heavier duty mesh.</div>
my mesh was the thick stuff...... i plan on doing the the same lower grill to my elantra
Old 04-29-2009, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: 2004 hyundai tiburon

laugh.gif Nice I get it. laugh.gif