Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Looking at getting my first DSLR

Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Accent
Default Looking at getting my first DSLR

I am looking at getting my first DSLR and I think I have the camera narrowed down. I have gone to a few stores and looked at a few but I am not positive on what one to go with. Hopefully $700ish or less for the camera body or kit and a lens.

- Canon EOS Rebel T1i body only or the kit with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
- Nikon d5000 body only or the kit with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens
- Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens

What I am stuck on is also if I should go with just the body and buy a different lens or if i will be happy with the ones that come in the kit for all around shooting.

This will be the first DSLR camera I have owned. When messing around it seemed like the nikon was a little more beginner user friendly but maybe it was just me. All seem to get good reviews and I like both brands.

Any help is appreciated. cool.gif
Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

As long as you grab a Nikon or Canon I think you're good. Play with the options each have and see what you like the most. I got a Canon because my dad has one, so we can use each others lenses.

Some people are die hard Nikon fans, and they are good quality cameras.

You'll be happy with whatever lens it comes with for everyday shooting, but you'll eventually want something better (wide angle, 300mm, etc). If you plan on investing in a few lenses for several hundred dollars, just get a good base. I don't anticipate one free lens being much better than another.

$600 for a kit (body, lens, bag) should be easy to find.

Best Buy has the D3000 kit for $500 and the D5000 kit for $750. If you were going to buy a lens separate, you're looking at $200 MINIMUM.

Hell, just splurge and get the D90.