Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

How seriously do you take securing your personal information?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Tiburon
Default How seriously do you take securing your personal information?

I know some people are freaks about it and wont even shop online out of fear that someone will get ahold of their CC numbers or social security numbers. Do you guys take alot of precautions with it or do you just figure that if something happens where your personal info gets misused, you'll just dispute it and let banks and stuff figure it out.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I take computer security very seriously. Just yesterday I attemted to purchase a little plastic android doll from a website which was unknown. Well.. it would not take my paypal password. So, I logged into paypal and my password was correct. I ended up changing my password for Paypal, my banks, and the login for my SSH connection to my personal cloud.

I have more information then bank information to worry about. If someone were to infiltrate my network, they would gain access to my security system, my hard work, my wife's nude pics, my personal information and possibly be able to destroy a large quantity of information.

Everyone should take computer security seriously. I'm not talking about antivirus, however it is a must if you have windows, I run linux so that's not needed. I'm talking about firewalls, Network Address Translation, closing unneeded ports on the router, using secure passwords, and locking down usernames for external access.

Think about it like this... Do you have a backup plan if a hacker gets into your network at home? I have 2 1TB drives, one's connected to my network, one's disconnected from my network in a fireproof box. All of my important things are on those drives. If a hacker gets into a single workstation/laptop on my network, that compromises network security... They're a step away from deleting everything on that computer. They're 2 steps away from deleting everything on every computer. The important thing is to keep backups, limit access, and use strong passwords.

For the average user, google "what is my IP"... go to one of those websites, get the IP address, go to a friend's house, install Nessus on their computer, run Nessus on your IP address to scan it for weaknesses. Chances are if you have a Linksys or other large name router, you're covered... If you have your modem directly connected to your computer via USB, you've likely already been hacked.

Also, for the average user... Get a copy of Ubuntu, put it on a CD-ROM or Flash drive... www.ubuntu.com/download This provides you with a way to get your computer up and running in the event of a failure. I have a flash drive for every computer on my network. If I have a hard disk failure, or a hacker deletes everything, then I'm covered and can get the computer up and running in the time it takes to power it off and back on.

Security is important to me.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:05 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You should not be afraid of what you don't understand. Do some resarch on things you are afraid of.