Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

How much space does a standard ripped DVD consume?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Elantra
Default How much space does a standard ripped DVD consume?

I have about 120 DVD's in my collection and I have been seriously thinking about the idea of ripping all of them to a hard drive (not sure how big of a drive I need), and connecting the computer to my flat screen. It would save me a ton of physical space and it would be easier I think to navigate through a digital library versus having to go to my DVD rack and look through everything. I'm obviously clueless about this or the type of computer or software I would need, so if anyone has a check list of what I would need and an average cost of buying it all, it would be really helpful.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

ive seen most compressed down to around 700MB. better ones around 1GB (quality)

blu-rays though will be 2+ GB easily for a nice rip.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Yup most dvd rips you will see to download are around 700MB, 1.45GB for a good dvd rip, 4+GB for a BRrip although if you grab the Entire video file off of a BluRay Disk... it will be around 24gb lol i have one video file that big

If your really wanting to backup your collection, get the biggest external drive you can get. Why? because your movie collection is always going to grow, might as well go big now than have to buy another drive later

A program that i used in the past (dvd's to ipod format) is MagicDVDRipper there are many different file types you can choose and how good you want the quality, its also very easy to use. only problem is its paid software... there may be other programs, i didnt look into it further after i found this one