Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

how many build their own pcs on here?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many build their own pcs on here?

wanted to show off my work on my new pc here... so far i haven't done anything, i'm starting on it tomorrow morning though.

i've decided i'm going to paint the motherboard i just bought (msi nf750 g55) white, and then paint the pcie/ ddr3 slots all black. then i will paint the psu white and sleeve the wires all white also, put it into a nzxt phantom case and watercool it, with black tubing. it'll probably take me a month to completely do it, but it will be worth it.

pics of the case i'm using-

Old 08-15-2010, 09:40 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I've been working on mine for the last 10 years. The last upgrade I let my girlfriend do.

I wouldn't paint a motherboard. It reduces cooling ability. Also, there is no way to prime the motherboard before painting... Obviously sanding is out of the question.
Definitely stay away from all slots with paint.

Is that a mini ATX case? I always go with large form factor. You can get more for your money in larger size without sacrificing any quality. In fact, usually the best motherboards are full size, not mini.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 AM

i know it'll hold in the heat more after i paint it, i don't care, i want everything to be white and black. it must be. and no, that case is a full tower. i have never bought anything other than full tower... my last case was a cosmos s, before that i had a haf....

Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Yeah, I doubt a case with five 5.25" bays would be restricted to Mini ATX.

I've never understood "pimping" your PC to the level of painting it. Not to mention that some things on the motherboard get hot enough that you're likely to smell noxious fumes every time you run it. If I gave a crap about the color I would buy a MB the color I wanted.

I've been building my own PC's since 1995. Back then it could save you $1000+ to build it yourself.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:21 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Agreed. I have been programming since 89, and building since 92.

I painted the outside of my white 4x size server tower (style) to black back in 99. I also decided it was not shiner enough and I made the flat black shine. It does not sound like a good idea to paint a board.

I say this as an electronics technician with 11 years of experience.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I also build my own pc's and have done 3 since 2001 but i never cared about the looks till this last one I built back in june of 09, it is a sick looking case with blue neon flowing out the bottom front vents and side panel. Sagitta Raidmax is the tower, dont remember the cpu/ processor but it was a 2.4 ghz quad core with 4 gigabyte ddr2 ram. Graphics card is a 1080 gb card or somethin like that. And two 120 gb hard drives that are no were close to being full. The specs are a guesstimate as im not a huge computer guy, just had my brother research the parts an we slapped her together.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX

Nice, maybe do some blue or red led's on the inside and make it see-through to the guts

I think they make different color pci slots and I don't think you have to re-solder.

And make sure you get a good paint too... My buddy used regular Krylon and taped the slots/processors off (looks bland). but maybe a transparent spray paint might look better.