Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

External HD as a network backup

Old 08-06-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Veloster
Default External HD as a network backup

I have a 5 terrabyte external portable HD that's USB. My cable modem only has RJ45 jacks on it. Can I just get a USB to RJ45 adapter and plug the HD in to be used as a networked drive for backups?
Old 08-06-2017, 06:45 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, just set up a raspbery pi or some other Linux machine as a Samba SMB server. Link to Ubuntu which should work on Raspberry Pi as well https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...Brief%20Way%21
Old 08-07-2017, 06:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I have a WD Mycloud that plugs directly into the router. I can then access all my files from anywhere in the world. Even my TV's and Playstation can access the vid/pics. The only problem is that it's kind of slow if you want to transfer a lot of files, even with gigabit internet. Otherwise, I love it.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:00 AM
DTN

I wouldn't recommend a commercial NAS to anyone. They all run Linux and they all get their updates from the manufacturer. That matters because they all have a life cycle and that matters because once they stop getting updates they become a liability to your home network. For example, several recent ransomwares spread through protocols used by NAS'.

Not saying I don't use them. I have a retail NAS. But my network is also equipped to detect, block, isolate, and notify me about malware on my network. An upgradable machine running a standard OS will serve the average consumer better than a retail NAS over it's lifespan.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:43 AM

How long do you expect to have this drive? The manufacturer will update the software for longer than I would expect to host my most important files. The drive costs $80-90 and I would not trust any drive longer than 4-5yrs. After that, I would buy another. I would also have an offsite backup in case of fire. That would eliminate any loss of data.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:00 AM
DTN

It's not a drive. It's a computer. When the drive fails, you can buy another drive. When the computer fails, you can buy another computer. It works in a rotation and you don't need to lose your data because your NAS fails.

You don't want a unit. 10 years ago 1TB was more than you would ever need. 10 years from now 100TB will be more you will ever need and your 1TB nas will be insufficient. Because of this, you want a Raspi and a replacable HD.

SSDs work in writes not time and they are more reliable to use for a backup. They can last 10 years. I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to support a NAS for more than 2-3, because that's what happened with my IOMega.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:37 AM

Which is fine for me if I have to pay $90 every 3yrs. It's still better than setting up another computer, file system, tearing it down for upgrades. And I'm betting it's far cheaper. I'm just not that into computers anymore. I've got better things to do that play with them all the time.

I know you are well into it. You may do it every day and enjoy it. But, the average consumer doesn't want to research all the latest hardware and software every time they need to upgrade their system.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:51 AM
DTN

No need for that. Just a raspberry pi and an external hard drive. Use the guide above. No way a retail device is cheaper. You can get a good, new, 1TB HD for $40 and a raspi for $35 (or less for older ones).

Then when you need more storage, just plug in another drive, or a $12 1TB USB stick.

Drive failed? Buy a new one for $40

Pi failed? Buy a new one for $35 or less.