Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Dark Web

Old 08-08-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 03 Tiburon
Default Dark Web

Who uses or visits the dark web? I know you have to use a TOR browser to access it. I need to find a good VPN to try and hide my identity when messing with it. I wouldnt use to buy or sell anything. Im just curious and want to look to see what people do on it.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I use TOR all the time. Not for Dark Web stuff, just to keep corporations from tracking all of my shopping habits and internet searches. TOR browsers no longer protect you from law enforcement. Only from people not really trying hard to track you.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:11 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The advantage of Tor is anonymized browsing. It's like using incognito mode++. When you're on TOR, by definition you're using the dark web, and the deep web. That's the areas not indexed by Google. If you're passing through, you are basically using a very slow incognito mode which is generally safe from your ISP being able to see what you're doing and there's a good chance the government won't be able to trace it back to you because it's too much work.

There's nothing wrong with TOR or dark web. Some people use it for legitimate anonymous business transactions, like e-bay. Some people use it for selling other people. Generally it's the back alley of the internet.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DTN
When you're on TOR, by definition you're using the dark web, and the deep web. That's the areas not indexed by Google.

I use TOR to go to regular websites. Most people consider the "Dark Web" to only be sites not indexed by Google, like .onion sites.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:14 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I use TOR to go to regular websites. Most people consider the "Dark Web" to only be sites not indexed by Google, like .onion sites.
The deep web is those not indexed by traditional search engines. Using TOR site is called dark web since it is deep web and your presence is blacked out. The dark web is a very specific part of the deep web. To use TOR at all, goes through the dark web.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Potato, tomato...

My point is just that you can use a TOR browser to access normal websites without being tracked. It isn't only used for nefarious purposes. My response was to the OP who's question seemed to point to a belief that a TOR browser was only used for "silk road" type stuff.