Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Anyone here use trackballs?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Anyone here use trackballs?

Been looking into getting one for the hell of it to see what the big fuss is over them. Who here uses them, and what are your thoughts? Ive always been a mouse person. tongue.gif
Old 09-15-2010, 11:05 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Trackballs are good when working with limited space. Another use is precision pointer operations with acelleration turned down. Other then that, the primary motivation for using track balls is to try something different.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

http://www.firstpr.com.au/ergonomics/

I use a trackball all day at work, and I love it so much I spent my own money to buy one for the office. That is after I wore one out completely at the house, having used it for a decade or so. I do graphic as well as regular data entry.

I have one of these and it is highly recommended: http://cgi.ebay.com/Kensington-Expert-Mous...=item1e5e268f54
(I can't speak to the seller or their claims about warranty coverage but that's the model number I use)

The programmable acceleration rates some people hate but I really like. The huge wheel I operate with one, two, or three fingers. The scroll wheel is surprisingly useful, and six programmable buttons (or button combos) are useful as well. The optical ball means you won't get any nasties gumming up the works like with roller sensors (huge bonus) and every Kensington I've used has sweet rolling action of the ball.

Plus it stays in one place, and the cursor is always where you left it, even if you move the thing around on your desk.