Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Is AMD still better than Intel?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^don't think they are falling apart. The phenom processors seem to be doing really well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-g...7-970,2698.html

didn't count but their is a lot more amd than intel on those lists.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:17 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

AMD costs more and offers inferior product. That's all there is to it.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

^- That to me is falling apart compared to what they were
Old 09-07-2010, 12:48 PM

lol, dtn, I come posting evidence aka benchmarks. You have opinions... wink.gif Making me work to prove a point!

I know its the internets and you can say whatever you want to, doesn't make it true though. Intel still has better name recognition, doesn't make it the better product.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html

On that site they have a phenom performing right along side a core 2 duo that costs nearly twice as much! of course thats just one case and like I've said as you get up into the procs that cost a lot of money 600-1000+ (hardly anyone buying them) intel does tend to have an edge.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

But even by the time you reach the bottom of that list it's back to the same as the other page with intel performance costing more than amd.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM
DTN

Hey, look at that. AMD dropped it's prices. It's fastest processor that you can buy is still 1/2 as fast as Intel's .

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26...mparison-table

Don't tell me that I'm giving you an opinion. I did some serious comparisons and gathered up all that information to pick out a i5 750 processor as the best bang for buck 4 months ago. AMD had just released their X6 and was asking $600-$1000 per processor.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:03 PM

LOL, did you even read that page? Everyone is commenting on how that list is sketchy and they don't think it's right!

That's my point though, intel does pretty much own the high end market(read server processors). Besides a couple apperances from the opteron line but I've said that a couple times already. 99% of the people out there are in the sub $200 processor market (you and me included) and in that area amd is still the best bang for the buck. You can't say intel has the fastest processor on the market therefore they must have the best processors across the board.

look back at that list of high end procs and look up your processor. the i5 750 and look 3 steps up to the phenom, it's 30 dollars less on newegg right now and faster....I have no idea what they were 4 months ago. But right now is what we are looking at and right now that proc is a better deal.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:27 PM
DTN

^^ Those numbers are the same as the page you posted. They're all about the same give or take a couple of hundred points on each processor. AMD simply did not have a processor to compete with intel when that page was made.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:13 PM

oh wow, I didn't noticed that was 15 months ago. Guess that means it's outdated now. wink.gif
Old 09-07-2010, 05:24 PM
DTN

Not really. The two companies have only added a couple of processors in the last year.

It looks like AMD is serving a better bang for buck in the full spectrum. Intel is integrating processors with graphics and they have a full range of features like virtualization which I use on my machines. It looks even to me.

I don't consider myself a fanboy of any hardware or software. I bought windows when it was the best, now I use Ubuntu. I bought an iPhone when it was the best, now I'm waiting for my contract to expire so I can get a Android. I think it looks like if I were in the market at this very moment I would go to http://www.pricewatch.com/motherboar...s_with_memory/ and pick up a AMD 1090T MSI 890FX SATA3 USB3.0 DDR3.