Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Is AMD still better than Intel?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Jay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tib
Default Is AMD still better than Intel?

I haven't kept current in the tech department. Wife is looking for a laptop. Last I knew, the Athlon was better than intel's chip. Might have changed now. That's why Im asking. Is the 2 GHz Turion x2 Dual core better than Intel's 2.2GHz Core 2 duo processor?

Bus speed is faster for the AMD I believe. Right?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Why mess with the Core 2 duo processors? New I5 and I7's are the latest technology. I've never been a fan of AMD. I've always had the best of luck with Intel for being the most stable and fastest CPU's out of the box without the need to "tweak" them.

I have a 1 year old Dell with 12 Gigs of Ram and an Intel I7 Chip, and this thing is still one of the best computers on the market! Spend a little more and you wont be upgrading in 1-1.5 years. I plan on keeping this rig for at least another 5-8 years before a major upgrade will be needed.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Previously AMD has provided more bang-for-buck as well as more processing power per mhz.

Right now, AMD is struggling to keep up with the Intel i5 processor and does not have a match for the i7. The i5 processor is about 3/4 the price of the competing AMD processor. The Intel i5 processor is the way to go right now. AMD does not have anything on it.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

You're laptop shopping? I would be more concerned with battery life than computing power.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2011/Hyundai/Sonata SE

lol, the i7 smokes AMD. and i also heard sometime in the not so distant future, there will be an i9. but that info isn't 100% accurate so dont take my word. i just heard it from a friend
Old 08-31-2010, 12:20 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibbytib @ Aug 30 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I have a 1 year old Dell with 12 Gigs of Ram and an Intel I7 Chip, and this thing is still one of the best computers on the market! Spend a little more and you wont be upgrading in 1-1.5 years. I plan on keeping this rig for at least another 5-8 years before a major upgrade will be needed.</div>

Dear God how much did you spend on that monstrosity? The processor alone is a grand! I'm looking at building an i5 with 8GB RAM and it is gonna run me about $1300.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I like amd
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/0607...-amd-intel.html

typically most bang for the buck is amd, intel often has the best high end ($1000) processors. Amd is kinda the underdog in the race and intel is a pretty shady company. Take a look at the article I linked to. For the first half of this decade or so intel paid dell to be exclusively intel. aka conspiring to create a monopoly.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:45 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ That's not shady.. That's business. Intel gives Dell a discount for brand loyalty. If I were to create an engine, or a headlight and give Hyundai a discount on the condition that they only use my engine, and not Ford or GM, would it be shady? How about if I didn't advertise that? It's business.

AMD is hurting more and more to keep up. It makes sense that they would try to file lawsuits against other companies to make money.

Back in 2000, during the tech boom, AMD had a great product with great prices. These days, AMD is putting out mediocrity for high prices.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

bahahahahaha!!!!! dtn you crack me up.

it's not just amd that was suing them the ftc,nvidia,etc. was too. They also won another antitrust suit back in the 90s. Wonder why you can get an amd proc in your dell today? It's cause they sued them again in 05. Intel was also threatening dell, hp, etc. that they would stop selling them their server grade stuff if they sold amd, thats not shady? A discount is one thing... this was something totally different. It's more akin to bullying that business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_v._Intel

Not saying that I don't use intel at all, good products. I just typically go amd. Generally still the best bang for the buck.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I loved AMD for a long time... and what I am currently running has an i5 in it.. sucks what happened, but I am not going to stick with them as they fall apart.