Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

Nonstick or cast iron pan for omelets?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Accent
Default Nonstick or cast iron pan for omelets?

I make omelets every couple of days. I've been using a nonstick pan and it's time to replace it after about 2 years of heavy use. I've been thinking about buying a cast iron pan but don't know if I want to deal with the weight issue when cleaning. I've seen some of the lightweight cast iron pans but don't know what to think of them.

Should I just stick with a nonstick frying pan and plan on replacing it every few years?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Why not get a decent quality nonstick pan, treat it carefully, and replace it after 5-7 or more years? Cast-iron wins IMO because it will last longer than you and when *properly* seasoned it will be as nonstick as your wearing-out nonstick, plus it will take high heat no problem vs. killing the nonstick of a "nonstick" pan!

Lightweight cast iron, i wouldn't trust. I'd be afraid to drop it, if it heated evenly enough that I actually use it.

also, a cooking stuff forum might be a better place to get random peoples' opinions than a car forum: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/276046