The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

You gotta be kidding me!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Smile You gotta be kidding me!

Just got a call from a good friend of mine. He was at my place upgrading my door speaker components (bought some kickers from him), and he said he would stop over today to throw them in the car. Well, didnt realize he hit the shifter into manual as he was getting out of the car, didnt realize it, went inside the house, and the car rolled out of the garage and scraped the entire drivers side of the car from front to back along the metal garage door rail. It rolled into the street, and thank god no cars were coming or anything and its a good thing I live in a new housing track and not anywhere near a main road. He walked outside and saw it sitting there in the middle of the road at the end of my driveway.

Not only did it scratch up the entire drivers side, but it also broke the molding and cracked both drivers side (front and rear) wide body flares and broke the mirror. Im not looking forward to going home now to see how bad this looks. fire1.gif I know it was an honest mistake, but how the hell can someone be careless enough and not notice that they hit a gear shift into neutral. And why the hell didnt he have the e-brake on.

Im so frustrated now, its not even funny. Granted, I can tear off the flares, and start over and respray the car, and I have an extra set of tib mirrors I bought awhile back to put back on...but its just a serious pain in my ass now because I've been working on this car for months getting the flares on and making everything 100% perfect. Now I gotta start over again. Im ready to rip all my hair out.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra XD

that freakin sucks all that work and time gone from one person being careless and not aware of what they r doing
Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Administrator

You have no idea. It was such a pain getting those flares on to fit and look absolutely show quality perfect. Im really scared to go home now and see the damage. The mirror...I dont care about...like I said...I have the extra set so that'll be quick and easy to put the new one. Taping off the car, sanding, priming, respraying color, and clear will take me about a day and a half. The flares...I dont know. If they're not bad...I can just sand off the fiberglass where everything was molded, re-adjust them, and start over with molding them with fresh fiberglass. If they're not cracked too bad, I can just re-apply a few layers of fiberglass to them as well. Its gonna be a pain though because I screwed them into the fenders, grinded off the heads to the screws so everything was smooth and flat, and then did the body work. I might have to literally cut the flares off the car if they're messed up kind of bad.

Uggg....just want to close the door to my office right now and scream as loud as I can!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I have some idea. My car got hit by a government vehicle while parked. While I was waiting the 8 months to get the money, some dude hit the back of my car while I was stopped at a stop sign.

Post pics man.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent GS

Wow. Hopefully everything is not as bad as it seems and your friend will help you fix the prolbems he made.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Administrator

He doesnt have a clue about body work and painting. I have tons of extra paint and supplies and everything so I dont really care about all that. What urks me the most is having to do all of this over. headshake.gif

Thinking I might just take Thurs and Fri off of work and just bang it all out and have it done by the weekend. If I work all day, both days on it...I should be able to get the car back to looking 100% again.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Oh man that's brutal.

This is why my friends don't get to work on my car. Even though it was an accident, I would never fully forgive that friend.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Believe me...if I didnt know how to custom paint and body work, and had to go through a shop for all this....my friend would not only be paying for all damages, but he would NEVER be allowed near my car again. But since I do everything myself...its not AS bad. lol
Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Ok, something doesnt seem right. Got home a little bit ago and went directly into the garage to check out the damage. If it werent for the fact that there was paint and fiberglass all over the side of the garage door frame, I would of thought my friend hit something alot bigger like a pole or something.

- The mirror is just hanging to the side
- Front & rear flares are not just cracked....theres literally chunks taken out of them
- Molding on both flares is broke
- The front bumper was molded completely to the fender, and the molding there was broke as well
- Large scratch all the way down the door
- Scratches on the sideskirt

So....there's a car show this weekend that I want to enter. That means tomorrow night, thursday afternoon, thursday night, and all day Friday....I will be strictly working on the car to make it perfect again. That involves the following:

- Cutting the flares completely off on both sides (chunks are too deep to just fiberglass over and repair)
- Re-molding the front bumper
- Sanding down the drivers door and sideskirt
- Sand down passenger side fenders so everything is smooth
- Lightly sand the clear and paint off the rest of the car
- Tape car off
- Prime entire lower half of car on both sides from the window down
- Respray the entire car with fresh paint
- Clear entire car
- Color sand and buff to a perfect finish

It's going to be alot of work to get done within 3 days, but I'm confident I can do it. Plus, the "friend" that did all this, is coming over every day to help me. He doesnt know much about body work, but having a helper to hold the air hose, tape off the car, and sand everything will help get this done in time for the weekend. He was extremely sorry and I can see he genuinly does feel bad. Just very very frustrating because now I need to buy a set of new flares, wait for them to come in, and do all this crap over with.

Pics to come....

Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Man that really sucks. At least you have a plan of action already and you will be able to repair everything.