The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

TAILGATERS!!!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K1 Tiburon
Default TAILGATERS!!!!!

It doesn't happen to me very often but this morning an Odyssey minivan was literally on my ass (1-2 feet) for a good 1/4 mile so I slowed down to below the speed limit and he was still on my ass. We hit a stop sign so I got out of my car and I had a few harsh words with this jerkoff. Some people just drive close to your rear but this guy was literally on my bumper. How do you guys usually handle these dipshits?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

What was the speed limit and what speed were you driving? Two lane road?

I read this thread, and I think about this thread -> https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...far-left-lane/

I personally avoid placing myself in those type of situations by being the fastest car on the road. If someone wants to go faster than me, I get out of their way and let them be an idiot.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you get out of your car to talk to somebody about their poor driving, expect to be shot in the face for your trouble. Only a fool goes and starts a fight. No matter how shitty they drive, it isn't worth being killed.

That said, my standard strategy for tailgaters is to lift off the gas until they get the message. My bumper stickers across the trunk read "do not" "come closer" "I'll go slower" It works for everyone but people who are TXTing on the phone . . . they are using you for a reference so they can keep you in their peripheral vision and text without looking too hard at the road. They can just go slower.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Some people that are tailgating like I normally do are just drafting trying to save gas. I try not to get in peoples comfort zones but sometimes it happens. When I am drafting someone like that, I am paying very close attention to traffic in front of them so I can start backing off before they even start braking or I just make sure I hit my brakes as soon as they do so I don't hit them. If they are driving slower than the speed limit with no cars in front of them and I want to pass then I will get closer hoping they either pull over or I will pass them when I can.

Now when I have a vehicle behind me that seems to be tailgating, I always do what I would expect them to do for me and pull over to let them pass when there is room for me to do so. It's not worth the risk wrecking your car over a stupid road rage issue that started over someone driving to close to your bumper. If the car behind you hits you then it's always their fault anyway and it's not worth pissing off that driver who might be a little crazier than you are and is carrying a loaded gun ready take you out.

I am also very against people who feel they need to brake check the car behind them and after being involved in a brake checking incident that left my car in the body shop for a week I have 0 tolerance for people who do that to me. Whats the point of that anyway besides trying to piss the driver behind you off who might be having a bad day and decide to wreck you for it?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Wiper fluid. Works best on bikers who run without helmets.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by krazytib
*snip* just drafting trying to save gas. *snip* If they are driving slower than the speed limit with no cars in front of them and I want to pass then I will get closer hoping *snip*

*snip* always *snip* when there is room for me to do so *snip*

Drafting: for the track, and a cause of some pretty spectacular wrecks on the track. My family's daddy's life is on the line every time some jack-hole tries to save $0.00001 by tailgating. Not worth it.

Closer is more dangerous the higher the speed. Coming closer makes it more dangerous for ME for a tailgater to be behind me. This makes me want to limit the danger they present to me, by lowering the speed. Tailgater's logic is a total fail here.

Your comfort zone size and definition of "enough room to move over to allow someone to pass" may vary wildly from the next driver's.

Yes, brake checking the car behind is about as stupid a thing as can be done.

I think we are both also saying the same thing: "courtesy is a two-way street. Don't be an ass." It's the definition of a**holery that differs from driver to driver.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I speed up or pull over and let them pass. Life is too short to give a sh** about petty bs.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I thought about this thread this morning.

I'm cruising 85 in the HOV lane. A little late for work, but not late enough for it to really matter. Then I come up on this car doing 65 (70mph speed limit) in the HOV lane. I get frustrated, but see he actually does have passengers when i don't. The car next to him is going the same speed, or slightly faster, and then there's a semi in the lane next to them. The 4th lane over is clear, and many cars were swerving 3 lanes over to get around the douche. I get next to him, trailing the other car going slow, and he glances over his shoulder laughing.

At this point, I'm pissed. He's doing it on purpose, and laughing. I wasn't mad until I realized it was 100% intentional. So, I back off the car in front of me and hang in his blind spot area. When there's enough gap for me to make it through, I drop it to 4th, take off, and get in front of him before his late 90s Altima can accelerate to block it. When he goes from 65mph to 75mph it's obvious he's trying to block me. This pissed me off even more - so I did something I never do... BRAKE CHECK! I just tapped the brakes so the lights would come on and i flooored it. There was very little risk that he would actually hit me, he wasn't that close. It brought laughter and IMMENSE satisfaction when I saw his front end nose dive as he slammed on his brakes, and the two sleeping passengers pop up like, "WTF happund?!" By the time they looked around for whatever 3-legged dog jumped in front of the car, I was 10+ car lengths ahead.

At this point, he's mad not sure why. He proved his car was capable of doing ~95mph as he tried to catch up to me. But... his 15 year old Altima was no match for the Genesis as I already had a long lead and I didn't have to try staying away from him.

Stupid butt pirate.

I realize what I did was wrong. I should not have exceeded the speed limit, should not have cut him off, and should not have brake checked him.... but when you have a line of 15+ cars behind you, in the FAST LANE, and you're intentionally not letting people pass... he deserved worse.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I had a Camry that came up on me and tailgated me flashing his high beams at me to move yesterday. I should mention I've been on cruise control at this point for probably 10 miles or so, and I had already passed this guy. I hadn't slowed down or sped up. I was cruising along in the right lane with 2 lanes of westbound travel when I went to go around a SUV going slow in front of me. The SUV sped up so we were going about the same speed. I guess the Camry was tired of waiting because he sped up and rode my ass. I didn't speed up to get around the SUV...I was still passing him slowly. The Camry got super close so I brake checked him. He kept flashing his highs at me so I decided to slow down to pace the SUV. Now I was blocking him in. I did that for a few miles before the guy finally got to his exit. Then I just sped up and set my cruise control back at 4 over and went on about my business.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hey we all had fun tailgating experiences this weekend.

On the way back from my Dad's house we drive clear 'cross Austin and then some. In South Austin we're on Cruise Control at 65ish MPH in lane 2 of the 3 lane MoPac expressway. Then TWO cars decide to merge into the space in front of our minivan within yards of each other. I hit the brakes and the dude who was coming up fast from behind had to hit his also. Then he never backed off. I usually give somebody a few moments in a situation like this, where I will get back up to speed with the people in front of me, and the person in back of me will usually back off as we all accelerate (normal traffic). This dude stayed so close I couldn't see his hood in my rearview. So I backed down the cruise control 1MPH at a time, until we were going 48MPH (minimum legal = 45). People are passing us flying by on both sides, then a big break where the tailgater could pass, then more passing on both sides, then another gap, etc . . . all the way from South Austin to the other side of North Austin. Well, if you want to drive slow, it means my kids get a longer nap on the way back home so . . . when we got to his exit (183 flyover) he peeled off and we went back up to speed. That was Saturday.

This morning, in the Hot Rod I was in the #3 (SLOW) lane and some female in a little sedan comes right up on the bumper that says right on it that she's about to be going slower. So we're holding steady at 50MPH for a while, and then a lane merges onto the highway. She goes into that lane (which blends into the #3 lane again farther down the road) and I drop to 3rd and back up to the speed limit in a big hurry, laughing all the way.

SRSLY tailgating in the slow lanes?

Now Majik in the fast lane, that's why the cop in the video in the other thread hit that dude with the lights just to get them out of the way: also should not have, but nobody will hold it against you or him, when stuff like that happens.