The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Stuff like this makes me sick

Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Accent
Default Stuff like this makes me sick

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12925040

Property owner shoots suspected theif in the act of stealing vehicles, and may be charged on two counts of aggravated assault

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Property owner shoots suspected thief

MCMINN COUNTY, TN. (WRCB)-- A shooting Wednesday morning has left one man injured and another man in custody, according to the McMinn County Sheriff's Department.

Sheriff Steve Frisbie said the shooting occurred just before 11 o'clock this morning on County Road 287 in north McMinn County.

Frisbie said it appeared the shooting was result of a man taking the law into his own hands after allegedly catching thieves on his property making off with junk cars.

Sheriff's deputies have taken the property owner into custody and may charge him with two counts of aggravated assault.

According to the statement given to the sheriff's department, a witness saw the alleged theft occurring and alerted the property owner, who came to the scene and caught the men in the act. He then chased after the men, firing several shots.

One shot struck the driver of a van, who was alleged to be have been involved in the theft, and another struck the gas tank of a wrecker rollback being used to haul off the car. The involvement of the wrecker driver was unclear.

The shooting victim was flown by medical helicopter to a hospital and information on his condition was not available.

Charges are pending on the occupants in the van and on the wrecker driver. The investigation is continuing.</div>

Some A hole tries to rob you blind ON YOUR PROPERTY and you end up getting charges? headshake.gif
Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 PM

that's why if someone breaks in, they don't get to leave. much easier when the cops come if you have just one story you have to tell them
Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tib

I thought I read somewhere that if they are fleeing from you, regardless if they are still on your property or not....you cant do anything without getting into trouble. You can only shoot or protect yourself if your life is in danger.

Its a grey area I think, and alot of people probably dont like the way the law is written but it still sucks that cases like this happen. If someone broke into my house or if they were outside trying to break into my car....best damn be sure I'll be striking vengence in its all glory, regardless if they start to run away or not.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

or, as they say at Sipsey Street Irregulars: never call the cops unless you have a body you need them to come pick up.

wink.gif
Old 08-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The law depends on the state. Here it's legal to stop someone if they're in the process of committing a felony with the use of deadly force. If they stop committing the felony and run you can't legally shoot them though.

But, like I said, it varies (wildly) from state to state.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Called the Castle Law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine
Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Castle Law in Texas allows you to shoot someone stealing or breaking into your car, along with your home, or place of work. But, like mentioned, if you chased them down the street, they obviously stopped commiting the crime and you're trying to get vengence. Not legal.
He should have shot him dead sooner.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

LOL you reminded me of a guy who got in trouble in Austin for chasing some doorbellers down the street . . . with an AR-15 . . . loaded with illegal-for-civilians-to-buy AP rounds.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

If you are in danger, you can protect yourself and your family. You have nowhere better to retreat to than your own home. If you are no longer in danger, you can not act.

There are also several places that require your life to be in immediate danger for you to take deadly action. If they don't have a weapon, you can't use a gun - then you become the assailant since they are unable to protect themselves.

of course, everything varies by state. deadhorse.gif