The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

So Pissed!

Old 03-04-2006, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Reboot does not compute?!?!? WTF, I reboot my laptop everyday: I press the "ON" switch. I tell you from experience, if your info is priceless then you need to back it up because you could lose it in a heartbeat. Especially on a laptop. I believe if the harddrive is dead, you could pull it out and reboot the computer. It should POST even w/o the hd. If it does then it's the hd. If it doesn't you are hosed. If it does POST then it's the hd .There's different levels of "toast" when it comes to hd's. But it sounds to me like your boot sector may be corrupted. Which means they won't replace the hd, but reformat and reinstall windows if it can't be repaired. And they are only going to back up some of your info because they are lazy like Loyen said. And they know you don't know a lot about computers.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

that sucks!

maybe there were just some damaged windows files... so your data will be ok?
Old 03-04-2006, 06:26 PM

Swift, I totally understand that you may not know that much about PCs.. that why you took it to the shop.. but THEIR tech should know that stuff.. thats what i was implying.. if they can't figure it out, i'd think about different shop..same as if you brought car for oil replacement and the guy is trying to put oil in your tank... you'll get kinda worried.. right? same.(BTW, that DID happen to me)

Also, out of my experience... it is possible to revive the "Dead" OS in 95% cases....
Old 03-04-2006, 06:36 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Swift: try reinstalling windows first (leave file system intact), you'll be able to get your data back. before you format your hard drive, try putting it in the freezer for a half hour and then putting it back in your computer. Things contract when frozen and a bad connection could be made good. If it works, you'll have enough time to copy files over. It may be that your memory has gone bad as well. if you can work on cars, you can work on a computer, just observe safety precautions.... ground yourself to the case and try not to force anything.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kb5133 @ Mar 4 2006, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Reboot does not compute?!?!? WTF, I reboot my laptop everyday: I press the "ON" switch. I tell you from experience, if your info is priceless then you need to back it up because you could lose it in a heartbeat. Especially on a laptop. I believe if the harddrive is dead, you could pull it out and reboot the computer. It should POST even w/o the hd. If it does then it's the hd. If it doesn't you are hosed. If it does POST then it's the hd .There's different levels of "toast" when it comes to hd's. But it sounds to me like your boot sector may be corrupted. Which means they won't replace the hd, but reformat and reinstall windows if it can't be repaired. And they are only going to back up some of your info because they are lazy like Loyen said. And they know you don't know a lot about computers.</div>

They're talking about reformating the hard drive.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:59 PM

Well all they are doing right now is checking my computer. Once they tell me whats wrong its up to me to decide if I want them to fix it or not. I called Geek Squad and they said theyd be here in a week and the lady there told me theyd get all my files back but for me waiting a week is like a lifetime..didnt cancel the appointment yet just cause I want to see how much this place is going to charge me and see what they say.

The problem was first I double clicked on a program on my desktop and it would halfway start and the computer just seemed to be busy for like 10 minutes and the program wouldnt load. The whole computer would freeze for a second as well.

Then it got worse. I started the computer and it just loaded the Dell logo but when it was time to load the windows xp screen the screen would blank out and after 2-3 minutes the message that came up was :the following files are missing or corrupt..system32/dal.--- (i dont remember the whole code) please insert the proper disk" and thats it. You cant go into safe mode or even into setup.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:53 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I know your pain! I have an HP computer from 2000 and it caused so many of my grades to fall. I went through a lot of computers, IBM, HP, Compaq, E-Machines, Dell... All the fantastic essays I've written disappeared when my computer crashed and froze all because I didn't save... And notice I switched from computer to computer because every single one took about 20 minutes to start up.

As crazy as it sounds, do yourself a favor like I did. Buy a Mac. I have the new iMac flatscreen desktop, no screen necessary, no crazy wires all over the place. My options are now limitless, and I do mean I can do whatever I want. No crashing. No virus protection. No viruses. My friends all gave up on all of those windows desktops because of all the spamming (cookies) and viruses. I had 6 viruses on my computer and I have never ever looked at any inapproporiate matters or anything. My friends in college all now have macs which never gave them any problems and they're really happy with performance.

(That's the entire computer!! It's less than 2in thick)

With my mac, I also have windows programs. Mac makes all of their own software so nothing ever malfunctions. Also, if you delete programs the entire files go with it automatically unlike windows computers where some files which linger forever taking up space on your harddrive. It's just the best thing you can buy. It's so quiet, I actually mean you can't hear it running. You'll never complain again. When you buy one, you're being different, just like driving a Tib. The design is also fabulous, designed in California, no crazy papers and cd's all over the place. All you do is take it out of it's fashionable box, plug two wires in and you're ready to go! They proved themselves with the iPod, so now they're proving themselves once again. Give it a shot.

PS--don't go to Geek Squad, all they'll do it reset your computer and click a few things and charge you $150.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:32 AM

^See what sucks though, is that i got this laptop like maybe 7 months ago and I paid $800 for it. I dont even know how much macs cost..are they expensive?

The last time I used a Mac was when I was 10 lol they were teaching our class how to use computers. I thought Macs were weird back then but obviously I see they have come a long way. My neighbor in NJ swears by them.

I dont have the Windows disc with me its back home in NJ. Id have to wait for my dad to send it to me.

HKC, Ill check out the Mac. If I like it so much then maybe Ill sell my laptop and crossover. Im just surprised at my Dell laptop messing up because my Dell computer back in NJ is flawless and I love it and have had it for two years.

Ahh this all sucks.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:02 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

sounds like my sister's problem. She bought a Toshiba Satellite, and had virus problems with it. Paid $120 for repairs and antivirus software. Then finds out newer better faster Satellites are coming out.

My computer whiz friend has a Mac. G4 powerbook who swears it's the best laptop ever made. Also, you can trust me by my accounts it's the best thing you can get. Like I said you can run any microsoft product on there and never encounter any problems. Haha, yeah I remember the floppy disks they used to have! And oregon trail! haha... good times. I never thought they'd make it as far as buying me out.

It can do anything a desktop can and even more. The size is awsome too, it fits like a book in a backpack. If you really want the best device you can get, it's the desktop G5 iMac flatscreen for $1200-$2,000 or the G4 Powerbook for $1200. Mac also gives you up to $300 discount for being in school. I'm getting refunded that $300 right now just because I sent them my proof I'm fulltime.

Here I go now, I sound like an infomertial or a salesman. But I also I beg my friends to buy Tiburons because they would get so much more than just a regular car...

I hope you get your problems solved soon, I think we all know how losing a few files feels like. Take a trip to a mac store (usually at the mall) and see if you like any of the models. I assure it'll be worth your trip.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:30 AM

^lol yea I remember those weird games on there.

Thanks for introducing me back to Macs again. If they dont have them in stores around here (which is doubtful) Ill look on there website and once I get my comp back go out and buy one. fing02.gif
Old 03-05-2006, 09:04 AM

Swift, they'll charge you 129 just to come out. Cancel teh appt and go to any bestbuy and have their instore agents to look at your computer. Right now their turn around time should be about 2-3 days.

On-Site services are VERY expensie... and if you want, PM me your phone that you registered, i'll see how much you were quoted by internal system.

Also as for new models, manufacturers are forced to release new models every 2-3 weeks.. its called competition.
Every couple weeks new model comes out with certain modification to the previous one..

Say, my current PC when it was just built would cost me almost 15K...
Two month later it was 10
Two month later it was 6
Now it is running for MAX 2K...

It is seven month later....