The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Remember Those Clutch Problems? Figured Out The Problem

Old 03-30-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

So for all of you who don't know about my "special" tiburon, I will tell you a little story. Once upon a time there was a pee yellow tibby, now this tibby had 85k miles and needed a new tranny. The owner (myself) wanted to do the clutch on my own, but mommy and daddy said "no, take it to the shop we take our cars to, and get it done right!" So the poor little fella was taken there and someone gained an addiction to eating clutches, he just ate and ate and ate. In fact, he ate 5 clutches in under 8 months. Obviously there was a problem, so after further investigation on the 5th clutch, the shop owner found some odd adjustable slave cylinder they put in the first time.

Ok end of the story, point is, the reason my tib was eating clutches was because the shop decided to put in some like Civic adjustable slave cylinder so it was holding the clutch almost fully in gear the entire time. My question is, does anyone else have a stock adjustable slave cylinder on their tib? The shop owner claims it was the same as the old one, however the new one they put in (which somehow is also the same part) is not adjustable. He did almost $1500 in parts/labor that needed replaced before figuring this out plus almost 2 full months being in the shop getting worked on. He claims he's not to be held accountable for any of that so we are either getting this settled with him, or its going to court.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

that sucks man. Sometimes you just need to do stuff your way regardless of what others tell you.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

This is where you say "I told you so parents."

And if they say you were right, then you can tell the owner that if he doesn't settle up, all of your family and all of their friends will take their business elsewhere, and be sure to spread the word. That usually makes them sway.

So hes admitting a part he put in is the problem, but doesn't want to be held accountable for it. Figures.

It is VERY hard to find a good mechanic shop nowadays.

My girlfriend just had her transmission drain out of fluid, because the people who did a flush (a preventative maintenence measure) didn't put it back together properly and the line blew off. Same story, parents were "ooooh these people are our friends, we always take our cars to them, they are so good" when I tell them their shit looks shady.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

agree it's hard to find a good mechanic now. but yeah if it's not done it's not done, the problem isn't solved. i agree with hamhead. court will cost you money. i'd take the business elsewhere and threaten to spread the word if he doesn't do it right.

though, he might be happier if you just buzz off.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM

If he doesnt settle, local news station will make him. Go to them, cheaper than court.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 PM

The problem Likeyoumeanit is that I'm 17 so my parents tried to control what I was doing to the car that I've bought, maintained, and paid for everything on. It wasn't really an argument that I was going to win.

As far as taking business else where, my dad told the owner that he's taking all of his business elsewhere and not taking any cars back to him. I've always made sure to mention not to bring cars to him in the first place and trust me after the 3rd clutch went in, it came to the whole "I told you so" thing.

Court is basically a last resort, we really have no "local" stations here, our biggest one is 52 miles away and don't really have enough care to pay attention to small people like myself. I'll give it a shot but courts about the only way to go, even if it does cost money it will still repay atleast part of the $1500+ he owes.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:12 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

i NEVER saw an adjustable clutch slave cylinder for our cars
mind to get a pic of it?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

ahh that sucks man, i hope everything works out for the best on your part and you get what is owed to you

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yellowlightning @ Mar 30 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The problem Likeyoumeanit is that I'm 17 so my parents tried to control what I was doing to the car that I've bought, maintained, and paid for everything on. It wasn't really an argument that I was going to win.</div>

to me regardless if you are 17, and you bought the car with your own money then i believe what you do to the car is your business, but there is a way to tell parents "no", in a respectable way...i gurantee your parents will listen now

but if they were paying for the clutch to go in, that is something different

but regardless i hope it works out in your best interest and sorry to hear about this
Old 03-31-2009, 04:20 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ericy321 @ Mar 30 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If he doesnt settle, local news station will make him. Go to them, cheaper than court.</div>

that's a good idea, and afterwords you can use the video footage as evidence .
Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 AM

Denisst- Don't have a pic or anything, they just pulled it off and I have no idea what they did with it. It was for like a late 90's Civic or something like that, it had some sort of threaded arm of some sort on it that just twisted in or out to adjust the length.

Mwood- It was just kind of annoying, it wasn't really something I could just do behind their back and get away with, without getting them pissed off. I was the one paying for all the stuff on it, and I agree they have no business getting into mine, they've admitted to it now too that they should've have intervened.