The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Pulled over tonight....

Old 10-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Pulled over tonight....

Yup, after work...got pulled over and got 2 tickets.

- Got on expressway
- Sheriff was there and tailed me about 20 minutes and pulled me over right before the exit I get off to come home
- Cop A walks up to the window and asks for license and stuff (he looked like he was about 15 years old)
- Asks if I knew why he pulled me over, I say no, he says my exhaust is too loud
- I tell him its below the legal limit as far as decibals go, and have the slip to prove it
- He says to hold on, and goes back to his car
- Cop B (older guy...probably his superior officer) gets out, comes to the car and says in NY state its illegal to modify your exhaust at all from the factory, and he then also says after looking at the car, that my windows are illegal
- I ask if he has a meter (since I know my windows are not that dark), he says no he doesnt and goes back to the car
- I sit there for almost 20 minutes as Cop A tries to figure out the computer in the squad car and cant get it to work
- Cop B has him get out of the drivers seat, as he gets in and does stuff
- Cop A then gets in after a couple of minutes and finishes
- Cop A then walks over to the car and hands me the 2 tickets and says I have 15 days to respond in city court

-- Tickets show that I was pulled over in the city, and not in the suburbs where I actually was
-- Fighting them both since 1) no meter to prove my windows were illegal 2) My exhaust & muffler looks stock, but is just a tiny tiny bit louder than stock, so how do they know its aftermarket, nor do they know how loud it is without a DB meter

Stupid cops! mad.gif
Old 10-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

reminds me of Chris' recent "pulled over and towed" thread:

Cop B: "Lookie there kid, I'm gonna show you how to deal with these pesky racers!"
Old 10-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That's dumb.

I've been hearing the "It's illegal to modify your stock exhaust in any way." statement given to people all over the place. One person I know got a ticket here because the muffler was not a direct factory replacement. As far as i could find in Washington at least they have passed no such law.

You'll have to find the law and bring in evidence that you are in compliance, or hire a lawyer and he'll just go in and get you off on technicalities, such as if they wrote down the incorrect location.

Sucks though. Yet another idiot cop story.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:13 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

LOL sorta like the cop that pulled me over cuz i "was doin about a buck sevendy fi" in my maxima

175mph...

in a maxima

once the guy realized he pulled over the wrong guy he handed me my drivers license DIDNT SAY A WORD walked back to the squad car and left
Old 10-07-2009, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Good luck fighting that Josh. Most... Not all... Cops are assholes...
Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Accent

I live in Sharpsville PA. like population 5. The cops here have meters for windows but never use them. there is about 2 cops on duty on the daily ahhaha so if there is a big event and both are there, then you can perform illegal actions and its fun. but anyways dude that sucks alotttttttttttttttt.

cops are douches
Old 10-08-2009, 08:15 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

have it inspected by a professional before court. bring proof.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I already have the law printed out. Its in my favor for sure, so I cant wait to walk in that courtroom and make those cops my bitch!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

most people dont think tuners know anything about the law. sad really. glad you got the information to show them in court.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:52 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

just bring a statement from a mechanic or a receipt. It will show that your car is in good working order all around. Then the laws will be gravy on top of the nice car.