The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Problem With My Campus Police Dept.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundia Tiburon

So, yesterday I got off work about 5:30, and I'm driving around the parking lot looking for a spot, finally I find a legal spot IE. with in the lines. So we fast forward to 9:30 PM, I'm in the library working on homework when my phone rings, now I was in a private room so I answered it, it was UPD, the conversation went about like this:
Me: Hello.
Dispatcher: Richard this is UPD we need you to move your car, you have parked someone in, and your car will be towed if it is not moved.
Me: I am in a legal spot and the car in front of me was clear when I parked there.
Dispatcher: Well Richard you are parked illegally and will have to move your car.
Me: But I am parked legally.
Dispatcher: No you are not, and this isn't my problem, move your car or it will be towed. *click*

So I pack up and go out to the parking lot to look. As I get out there the truck that had parked on the other side was pulling out of his spot, and one of UPD's vehicles was in the lot creeping around. So as far as I could tell my car was once again in a legal parking spot, so I turn and go back to my room. At 10:20 I receive another call from the department.
Me: Hello?
Dispatcher: Richard this is UPD again you have not moved your car, and we will tow it if you do not move it.
Me: I am in a legal parking spot your officer even watched the other car leave.
Dispatcher: The tow truck is on its way and will tow your car first if you do not move it.

So after the dispatcher hangs up I go out to the lot to wait for the tow truck, after about 15 minutes of standing in the cold I get tired of waiting and call up UPD to have them send an officer down to explain how I am now parked illegally. Now a silver Caviler had parked on the other side of the person in front of me after the truck and UPD had left the lot. The officer gets there, and we exchange the normal "evening" greeting, and I ask him how I am parked illegally, seeing as my spot was valid when I parked there, he had watched my spot become valid again, and I was still being harassed. His story was that at 6:00 PM he had gone through the lot and taken numbers, and my car was not there, I kindly inform him that I had parked there at 5:30 PM. He then says that he is unsure what time he had taken numbers down, but my car was not there and the silver caviler was. I then ask him about the black truck that he watched leave the other spot, he says that he can't remember, even though he had been creeping along behind me the whole time I was in the lot earlier. When I bring that up he offers to me some choices.
1. He can write me a ticket and I can move my car.
2. He can write me a ticket and have the car towed.
3. see above and add arrest.
4. I can simply move my car.

By now 45 minutes have elapsed of us standing in the parking lot, and I beginning to feel sicker than I had been earlier in the day. So I choose to move my car with out the ticket, and leave the lot, following every traffic rule to the letter, the officer follows me to one of the farther out lots, were are park, he is sitting a few rows down watching me. I get out of my car and my girlfriend pulls up to give me a ride back. The officer cuts across several parking row at high speed, and leaves the lot with out stopping for the stop sign.

I'm slightly mad with UPD right now, seeing as I didn't even get a thank you from the officer upon agreeing to move my car.

Sorry for the poor grammar, and the rambling.

Arcy
Old 02-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Tuscani Tiburon

Wow. that sounds really gay. I probably woulda got in a huge argument with him and said some bad stuff and ended up getting multiple tickets lol.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ yea same with me haha
Old 02-12-2009, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Wow dude that sucks. Campus police doesn't deal with the parking over at my school, but when I've dealt with the UP (I got pulled over because I missed a stop sign and I was speeding a little, both in front of the police station. Another time was when my friend's car got broken into), both times they were really nice to me/us. When they pulled me over they even joked around with me and let me go with a warning lol. Even though no action was taken against you (right?) you should file a complaint or something remember it is your money paying for them.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:57 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundia Tiburon

I am attempting to contact the Campus newspaper to see if they would like to do a story on this, this is my second run in with them in about a month, the first I was doing 33 in a 25, only got a warning, this time I did not get a warning or a ticket.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

From my experience with my campus police is it has to do with who's on duty. I had many run ins with my campus police and it was about 75% nice 25% complete ass. Mostly the officers that were on during the day were the worst.

Still sucks that they did that to you. I think you should contact the newspaper and have them wright a story because your probably not the only one that has had this happen
Old 02-12-2009, 02:18 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

That sucks!

Then again I'm not a fan of cops any way. The school paper would be a good starting point. Also find out of anyone else has been prone to similar (legitimate) run ins with long arm of campus law. Use this to escalate your complaint to the highest authority that will hear you out. Don't be combative or belligerent, but don't let them step on you either. As a paying patron of that university, which you could use for leverage if needed, you should find it pretty easy find folks to care enough to listen.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

You need to read the story on DOLLYMAN and do something awesome like he did.

That's bullshit
Old 02-12-2009, 02:34 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

all hail dollyman hail.gif

honestly, whether you were parked legally or not, at least they gave you a phone call! when i was still going to school, my car WAS towed. no phone call or anything. they claimed that they left messages on every campus phone about a lot being closed due to snow. i never got that message.

so i feel that you lucked out
Old 02-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

all hail dolleyman!!

sucks bro. i hate cops with a passion. there are some racist and crooked cops here. they jumped a good-looking friend of mine out of nowhere, beat her up (she's pretty, and clean record, professional). when they took her to jail she decided she's dropping her criminal justice major because she's too good of a person to be near people who could care less. they made her stand in the freezing cold without clothes and bare feet before inauguration, the sh-t lady grabbed the phone from her and threw her on the ground and began kicking her. then in jail, they shouted rich white girl. problem is you can't sue the cops really, not for the sake of the slim chances of winning, but because if you f-ck with cops your life might be in danger. lot of people living away from the city don't understand don't have the slightest clue what's coming. cops will always be right, no matter how ridiculous the situation they're becoming a big mafia.

just recently they put up 6 more flash cameras near my house. my county has the most amount of flash cameras in the united states. after a half hour dealing with machines, the people on duty are arrogant, senseless and rude on the phone. you have to be annoying as f--- to get someone intelligent to speak with you.

it's only going to get worse and what's even sadder, it's worse in my country so i have no choice but to stay here answering police donation calls and telling them to come pay for my camera tickets first.