The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

P0343 Camshaft Position Sensor.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

This is gonna be long but it has to be. Its a long description but please read it all.

The title is supposed to read "Ill paypal $25 to whoever figures this out"

Ok heres the deal. I just installed Selina's (swifttiburon) Airram, BBTB, aditional injector fuel rail and spacer, and additional injectors. But i did not wire in the additional injectors or hook up the fuel rail to it. So the fueling is still all stock. I hooked up all the injector clips and wiring. Started it up and the fvcker purred like a kitten. rolled it out of the garage and took it for a test run. the thing ran great and pulled hard. Brought it back to the garage and noticed that at idle the engine made a wierd sucking noise. I inspected everything and found out that the idle hose that connects from the airram to the idle actuator was being pinched inbetween the firewall. So i figured, easy fix, just relocate the idle air actuator elsewhere.

The next day i moved the actuator and extended the wires. Started it up and the thing wouldnt idle at all. Couldnt figure out what was going on until i saw that the idle hose had fallen off the airram and the engine was just sucking in as much air as it wanted. I hooked up the tube and fired it up and it idled normally. Figured id make sure everything was running fine so i hit the throttle, it responded slower than bush getting asked questions about the war in iraq. lmao.gif

Anyway, you slam the throttle and it accelerates the engine (in park) like your barely pushing the gas. I get a cel P0343. Camshaft position sensor high voltage. Im like wtf? i didnt touch the camshaft position sensor, never even unhooked the sensor while installing the airram. I looked it over and noticed that the harness for the position sensor was pinched in between the addtional rail and the stock rail. I freed it and inspected the wires, everything seemed in order. i made sure it was plugged in securely and it was.

I figured the wires must have been messed up inside the harness so i found out which wires go to which prong on the harness so i could follow it to the other harness and bypass the harness with some new wiring. I do this and made sure i had the right wires and started it up and it ran the exact same. I figured it must be a bad sensor now so i reconected the harness (which i tested to make sure it was good) and plugged the sensor out of my car, same deal, that fvcking CEL again. P0343.

I called brian, he recomended making sure the magnet on the cam was still on and within spec distance from the sensor, i pulled the valve cover off and everything seemed to be in order, the cam magnet was in great shape and came pretty close to the magnet.

I finally decided that there has to be a wire loose somewhere, but since i didnt feel like tracing all the wires back to the ECU i figured id just run 3 new wires. So i did.

i ran a wire from the black wire on the sensor to pin number 6 on the ecu which is the ground that the sensor uses to begin with. I ran a wire from the green wire of the sensor to the 3 pin on the MFI relay just like stock. I ran a wire from the pink/tan wire on the sensor to pin number 44 on the ecu, which is the signal for the camshaft position sensor, again, just like stock does. hooked the ECU harness back up and started it. car ran the exact same way. PO343.

I switched the two wires that arent the ground (didnt touch the ground becuase its hard to mess up the ground) and it ran the same way. switched the wires back and decided to test the wires. The ground is good. The wire going to the MFI relay has power when the ignition is on. The wire going to pin 44 i couldnt get it to test positive with the key on. this is how i tested it, i have a circuit tester that has a light that lights up when current is flowing through it, i hooked one end of the circuit to a good ground and then poked the other end of the tester to the end of the wire going to pin 44 with the ignition on, no light. I did the samething except I poked the end of the wire going in to pin 3 of the MFI relay and it lit up like a candle.

I figured maybe the ECU doesnt get power unless the car is running so i hooked up my camshaft sensor figuring maybe the problem was a combination of bad wiring and a bad sensor but it didnt help.

im fresh out of ideas, ive checked every wire and every harness and they all have a good connection. The wire hooked up to pin 44 has a solid connection and I Have no idea whats left to cause this. Is there anything else that could make the P0343 CEL come up with the symptoms i described?

All help is appreciated, as stated im so desperate to figure this out, if you tell me what the problem is i will paypal you 25 bucks, not a terrible amount of money but its more than ive ever got for giving advise lol.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Bump

Come on guys...
Old 07-17-2006, 11:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You extended some wires? Wow. I'd see what voltages you are getting around on those sensors, then I'd reset your ECU.

You MAY have just got a coincidence and your sensor just went out.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:28 PM

No i extended the wires on the idle air actuator not the sensor. I replaced the wires after i thought there was just a problem with the wiring, i replaced all the wires with 18 guage wire, which is a bit thicker than stock, fully soldered and heat shrinked.

Reset the ECU about 13 times already lol

and, as i said, i tried the camshaft sensor off of my car (which i know works) and it didnt help.

Also, brian and selinas dad (mechanic) both think that it could be the ECU since everything else is right. I know redz doesnt think that can happen but ive done everything else...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:00 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

Alex,

What about for the final test to determine the ECU's functionality... swap the ecu from your car to swift's? I know that the ECU is a pain to unmount but you can just do yours and leave the one from swift's on. Then just take your ecu and plug it into the other car and see.

You guys sure are lucky that you have both the RD2's smile.gif and can help each other when it comes to this.

Let us know
Old 07-18-2006, 10:56 AM

Did you work on the intake cam at any time? When I installed my 1.8L intake cam I got the same code and CEL. I found that the intake cam was retarded by one tooth. I moved the cam to where it should be and I was able to clear the CEL. Hasn't come on since.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:41 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alex01tib @ Jul 17 2006, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Also, brian and selinas dad (mechanic) both think that it could be the ECU since everything else is right. I know redz doesnt think that can happen but ive done everything else...</div>

Bah, ECU's can go out, especially if you don't disconnect the power before you work on wiring.

Have you looked up on HMA yet? Obviously, if the swapped sensor isn't working, it's before the sensor. I'd get the numbers for what the voltages are supposed to be on those wires for the sensor and check them. Narrow down the problem.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:53 PM

I havent swapped the ecus because i need my car everyday if selinas isnt running. I can swap them out on wednesday night because i have two days off after wednesday.

nah didnt touch the cam.

I always disconnect the power when working with wiring, but selinas car has been abused before so who knows..

I guess i could test the voltages while the car is running, because pin 44 shows no voltage with the car just in the on position, is this not right? should it show power with the engine not running but with the car in the on position (like pin 3 of the MFI relay did)?
Old 07-18-2006, 02:59 PM

Don't you guys have a spare ECU?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:52 PM

yah we had one, selinas in the process of moving so hopefully its not buried or lost. if she finds that one shes gonna send it to me (she just went back to jersey)