The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Improper Exaust?

Old 03-29-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid pig pulled me over and gave me a ticket for "improper exaust." Never even said what was wrong with it. Told me to get it fixed but he never said what I have to fix? It's perfectly within florida laws, and when I drove by him I was in 3rd gear at like 1700 rpm's, so I know it wasn't even being loud. Plus he had his windows up.
What a ******* *****.

I'm gonna go to court with it and say I've only been drivng the car since monday so I haven't even had time to "fix" it, and there is nothing illegal about it. It had the apexi muffler like my old one, and I still have the silencer that came with it, so ill put that in and see if it shuts them up, and "fixes" the exaust. Although he never said what was wrong with it? I think he meant I need to make it have open headers.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Pig?

I'd say that attitude and ignorance are your biggest problems so far.

Look up the local and state exhaust laws, I bet you that you aren't legal.

Probably the nusiance/noise ordinance.

I just spent 10 seconds searching and found plenty.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index....316/Sec2935.htm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>(2) No person shall operate any gasoline-powered motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, moped, scooter, or an imported nonconforming motor vehicle which has received a one-time exemption from federal emission control requirements under 40 C.F.R. 85, subpart P, on the public roads and streets of this state which emits visible emissions from the exhaust pipe for more than a continuous period of 5 seconds, and no person shall operate on the public roads or streets of this state any motor vehicle that has been tampered with in violation of this section, as determined pursuant to subsection (7).</div>

Could be he saw visible emissions for more than 5 seconds.

Also looks like you aren't allowed to have anything else than the stock exhaust there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>(7) The Department of Environmental Protection shall adopt rules that define the specific wording of the required certification and the circumstances under which the certificate is not required. In addition, the department shall adopt rules as necessary to conform to requirements of federal law, to establish procedures to determine compliance with this section, including specifying what tampering activities constitute a violation of this section, and to provide for exceptions and waivers. For those rules applicable pursuant to subsection (1) to licensed motor vehicle dealers for certification by visual observation, the air pollution control devices or systems that shall be included in such certification for motor vehicles dated model year 1981 or later are the catalytic converter, fuel inlet restrictor, unvented fuel cap, exhaust gas recirculation system (EGR), air pump and/or air injector system (AIS), and fuel evaporative emissions system (EVP). The department may by rule remove or add devices or systems to this test if justified by developments in air pollution control technology or changes in federal law.</div>

I also found these on other sites.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>316.272 Exhaust systems, prevention of noise.--

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(13) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 72-39; s. 1, ch. 73-89; s. 27, ch. 79-65; s. 135, ch. 94-356; s. 204, ch. 99-248.</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.</div>

They got you fair and square.

More links.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index....0316/Sec272.HTM

http://law.onecle.com/florida/motor-...s/316.293.html
Old 03-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Bah, you ever been to florida redz?

There is no inspections and V8 cars run around here with open headers, they're just busting his balls because its an import. Most of the cops around here are cool about it, but some arent.

The one law that says no car can have noise emitted above the origanal level has got to be bogus, out of date, or just not upheld anymore, as decibel level law contradicts it and most likely when he goes to court they'll either bust out a decibel meter or just throw it out to save time.

Fighting it is always the smart thing to do, saying "they got me fair and square" and paying the fines is stupid.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:21 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I think he's been there, but never had a vehicle there for sure. There are no inspections on vehicles there, none. The part that includes "licensed motor vehicle dealer" is talking about a dealer cannot sell a car that has a known exhaust component missing. The only way that visible emissions were visible for 5 seconds or more is if he is burning oil or running insanely rich.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned

the exhaust would probably puff a lil black, only if he was boosting like nutty when shifting, cuz its set a lil bit rich.

the exhaust is pretty loud also (turbo back, no resonators, no cats) so that would have probably be what got ya.

i can tell you right now, that exhaust is NOT within florida laws.. just because they don't do inspections, doesn't mean that your allowed to not have a cat.

you will probably want to put the silencer in the exhuast, and probably a glasspack if you keep getting harassed.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:01 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alex01tib @ Mar 29 2008, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Bah, you ever been to florida redz?

There is no inspections and V8 cars run around here with open headers, they're just busting his balls because its an import. Most of the cops around here are cool about it, but some arent.

The one law that says no car can have noise emitted above the origanal level has got to be bogus, out of date, or just not upheld anymore, as decibel level law contradicts it and most likely when he goes to court they'll either bust out a decibel meter or just throw it out to save time.

Fighting it is always the smart thing to do, saying "they got me fair and square" and paying the fines is stupid.</div>

Yes, I've been there, it sucks.

There are no inspections in New Mexico either, other than VIN inspections upon buying a car, and he can fight it if he wants to, I never said he shouldn't. Fact is fact though, he's illiegal, he got caught. There are like 4 different areas in what I quoted above that got him to rights.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (javageek @ Mar 29 2008, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think he's been there, but never had a vehicle there for sure. There are no inspections on vehicles there, none. The part that includes "licensed motor vehicle dealer" is talking about a dealer cannot sell a car that has a known exhaust component missing. The only way that visible emissions were visible for 5 seconds or more is if he is burning oil or running insanely rich.</div>

Correct, but it does say that you aren't allowed to operate a vehicle that has had that stuff tampered with, and section 7 says what it means by that.

He's caught. We have the same laws here in NM, and I'm very careful since I got my new exhaust. I don't show off, I don't play with it at its loudest, but if I get one, I know I'm kinda screwed. Only good point is I got a stockish looking muffler.

BTW, I've been pulled over once since I got it, and no ticket. My tint is also illegal, and no tickets, because I act right.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 01 / Hyundai / Tiburon

well i know in VA any kinda of exhaust other than stock is illegal, i think. Thats why i still have the stock one my tib. But the only cops that bother you is the state cops, the town and sheriffs don't give a crap, so ill be putting one on sooner or later
Old 03-29-2008, 02:08 PM

On the ticket, it references this: (what you quoted)

316.272 Exhaust systems, prevention of noise.--

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(13) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

It says "316.272 (1)" with the (1) being subsection 1. Now I am fine with everything except the noise. I know the car is loud, and that's why I rarely take it above 3,000 rpm's. I'm still learning to drive with KPH only, so I drive UNDER the speed limit anyway. The guy even said "your driving is fine, it's just your exaust." I've been driving the car since monday. 6 days isn't that long to get it "fixed" anyway. I don't have a problem putting in a glasspack, but I don't have the money at the moment. And if it's above the specified DB, then ok, let them actually TEST me, and tell me how loud it is, that way at least I know how much it needs to be toned down. The guy didn't even ask me to turn the car on. I know when I passed him I was in 3rd, driving just above 2,000 rpms, which is quiet.
Besides, alongside all the ricers in my area, that are much louder than me, is a turbo 350z, that sounds a friggin jet airplane taking off lol.

BTW what would be a workable glasspack to reduce noise without hindering performance?
Old 03-29-2008, 02:12 PM

Doesn't matter, the "unusual noise" section is subjective, so he doesn't need anything for that.

Yeah, you can fight it, but that's that.