The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

I Feel So F*cking Unlucky!

Old 12-01-2008, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know where to put this kind of topic, I just need to vent out my frustration to fellow Hyundai enthusiasts.

Last night, I thought of taking my car out for a spin to play around in our streets here. Driving around the city, I noticed The Philippine Muscle Car Club was having an EB but were already leaving their spot. I followed 3 of them who were going on the same direction en route to my village. One was a 1969 Mustang Sportsroof, another one was a 71 Challenger R/T, and another one was a 65-66 Mustang fastback. Now I'm guessing you probably know what happened between us. Anyway, let's just say they got what they didn't expect.

On the way back, I just thought of boosting her again but only on 3rd gear. I noticed she was boosting 1.7 bar! My regular boost level is only 1.3 bar. I backed off at about 4500 rpm quickly! So I cruised along (2000rpm at 5th) as I was about to park her at a nearby gas station, lo and behold I heard a bang that doesn't sound like a backfire. Then I heard metal clatters here and there and I just thought "What the hell did my wastegate just fall off?!?" I looked at the tach and it was reading 0 rpm, AND SILLY ME didn't put the gear in neutral quickly!!! argh!

Now, I just put a hole inside my freaking engine block, and I have no idea where to get used engine blocks from. Tomorrow I will remove the engine to see the extent of the damage. I hope no head parts were harmed. For 3 years and 30,000kms this engine has given me smiles and smiles. Now I had to cancel my order of coilovers and CF hood just to finance the engine again!!! Just because of freakin' boost creep (or whatever failed in the wastegate).

Jeez I just can't move on towards other aspects of the car!! All I do and spend on is engine engine engine engine... I'm just wondering when can I put my money and time on aesthetics, suspension, brakes, seats, or even the damn R32 GTR!!!

Does anyone know if the 1.6L block fit in the 2.0L head? Because this is the most common engine here so I'm guessing I can easily (or not easily) obtain this kind of block. But this will be the worst case scenario I hope. I can't find links on the net on where to get Beta short blocks, maybe someone can fill me in on this mad.gif

Or is it okay if I just TIG-weld the block? Assuming that it's welded properly, etc etc, can it withstand 300++whp? I use piston sleeves by the way.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:49 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

pleanty of places here will sell you an engine for 350-400 and then you would have to pay to get it shipped over there. but at this rate i would just buy 2 and have em shipped the same time.

sorry to hear about your luck man. these situations are what scare me from turbo'n the tib
Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Sorry to hear it. What did you use as a tuner?
I plan on the AEM FIC cutting all fuel after a certain boost level..
Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 AM

optimoprime,

ohh my quite a handful, with that much money I think I won't be able to afford a proper coilover + some decent brake pads. I guess I'm going in the welded block route then 02.gif thanks for the info man.

radu,

I used a Greddy E-Manage blue + SMT-6. 2 ecu's because the SMT's injector driver doesn't function, and we had a spare or two Emanages at the shop. Plus the SMT can control the timing without modification. The emanage controls the 2nd set of injectors

I think you'll do great with the FIC, as far as I know AEM products very very rarely disappoints. Good luck with your build and always always double check your boost level. I might have been running quite a high boost level at WOT throughout the night. Please don't commit the same mistake and stupidity I did smile.gif
Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Consider standalone also.

Stock bottom end?
What wastegate were you using?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:10 AM

Stock everything except some forged ZE pistons and sleeves. I was using a Tial 38mm replica which I repaired the day before because the set screws inside cam loose, therby leaving the valve always open. I ran the car for a while, and then proceeded to lower the boost level to my normal settings before the day the engine met its doom. She ran perfectly fine.

I'm not quite sure if I was running a high boost level at WOT the night itself, cause I did this several times even without 'playmates' on the road. And then I proceeded to boost her one more time again before going home, I heard a backfire (maybe because of lean or something, and the car was obviously running lean... you know, it sounds like it's too angry but it isnt giving enough pull) and then proceeded to slow down. about 30 seconds later going into a gas station, boom. on part throttle, no boost. fantastic.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:03 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

I really don't understand how you put a hole in your bottom end. I've had my car well over 400whp all summer with relentless beatings at 25-28psi of boost and I have not had any issues. I only have pistons as well, everything else is stock. You tune must be off.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ x2 for a bad tune. That would be 2 members in the last few months with funky tuning killing their bottom ends.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:56 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

post up some pics of the hole damage and what not i got to see it to tell you what happen. also what are your oil clearances set at? for boosted engine you want them to bee about 0.02~0.05 undersize. to compsate for compression load and heat. did you jack up you oil pressure by eather putting washers or a 10mm nut on the bottom of the oil pressure relief spring. are you running a oil cooler. what oil are you useing. injectors. these are things i or other membes must know to be able to help you out. i know when i was road mapping my car my shit over boosted to 2.6 bar and it held up..

who put your engine together. when they but the bottom end together were they wearing cotton glove? if so that is a big no no..

Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 AM

yamaha + stocker:

I am quite positively sure the car was not in tune for that amount of boost, as I have tuned it on the dyno to handle only 1.3 bar of boost at low 12s AFRs. 1.7 - 1.8 bar was a sure way to put a an end in that engine, and I suspect I kept on hitting those levels over and over again all throughout the night. Hell, I kept on finishing off 3rd, 4th and partially 5th gear all night just to take me away from the stresses here at college.

I have concluded that this is because of a wastegate failure, and a f*cking noob me (that's why there is a boost gauge mr einstein)!

Mad_John:

I'll post pics if I can, I swear I'll remove that engine after I finish off some papers for school. Maybe by the end of this week.

I'm not sure about the oil clearances, as I had a poor shop built this bottom end back in 2004 upon receiving the car as a hand-me-down from my old man. I didn't have much technical know-how then. I'm positive they didn't use gloves, and it had this silly used Toyota CT-20 turbo (which I suspect was producing 170whp @ 9 psi lol) for a few months before my current T3/T4E.

But this time, I'll be sure to follow your advice on the oil clearances as I'll be handling this build (of course with some help of my friends and machine shops)

I am quite sure that I didn't jack up the oil pressure. But this time I'll do, as I believe in everything you say fing02.gif

I'm not using an oil cooler, and I'm using dual rail setup. Stock + four 440cc RCs smile.gif

Just for the record, I'm quite surprised that this thing held up for a quite a long time as it ran detonating before left and right before hitting the dyno (for about 2000 kms, but no drag racing mind you... just 'spirited driving'... I only heard the knock on my first dyno session where I produced 267whp @ 12 or 14 psi I think... I then retarted the timing to produce those results ). I'm really surprised these Beta engines really hold up good to abuse! All of those 30000 ++ kms travelled by that mighty korean shit were quite abusive (no speed limit here) , and I don't think stock Honda engines would be able to last that long with that kind of freak piloting that car.

Now I'm contemplating on throwing away all my money on good internals (Wiseco + Pauter + ARP) so that when I upgrade to a larger turbo + a standalone ECU in the future, I don't have to tear the engine apart again. But the trade off is no coilovers, no brake pads, no aesthetic upgrades, no fancy food, no dates, no bars and clubs, no buying of clothes, no social life, no unlimited coke (the drink of course), no cigarettes, no air-conditioning on the flat, no microwave, no shower heater, no birthday and xmas treats to others, no girlfriend... hmmm...