The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

The Hyundai Aftermarket

Old 03-20-2004, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad News - Update on G/F - Updated 4/28/04

I totally agree with blacktib... and I liked most all of you guys responses... I mean I think in reality we all know that's why it's so hard to find parts... and the industry is growing for hyundai though just give it a few more years... I don't know about in the U.S. but here in ontario... civic's are not so cool anymore because when you drive by a highschool that's all that's parked there and everyone is getting sooooo sick of all the punks driving around with big 2$ TYPE R stickers on thier back window. Hyunai's getting pretty popular here. And I LOVE how no one knows what kind of car I'm driving and so many ppl really love it and I like the fact that you don't pass one on the street every 2 minutes... that's why I bought it. And it IS hard to pay out the cash for parts... like I have the car payment.. motorcycle payment and for those of you who dont know... insurence in canada is RETARDED it's more then the payments... YES it really is. But I save a lil bit from each paycheck... guess it just depends on what you're willing to do to get the parts.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, I went into a local performance store that opened last month today, and guess what?

They had Hyundai parts.

3 RD Body kits are on order for that shop, but sure as shit, they had CAI's, some pulleys, an exhaust for an RD, and besides some Euro Tails, a freaking 00 Elantra Evo3 Bodykit.

Very nice.

Not ONE single 3rd Gen part.

WOOHOO!!!
Old 03-21-2004, 12:54 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

REDZ that is the truest, most pure form of AWSOME.

Thats all I can say to that. I still get the cold shoulder out here where every import imaginable is gonna drive past you on the freeway at some point of the day. I saw a sick ass rx7 today and I bet that bastard didn't have to custom fab one thing in that car. Well in a couple days if not tomorrow I'll have my store open for business and I'll be stocking tib stuff soon besides the haloz.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:12 AM

well, look at the good news (for us) While the flocking of ricers to Hyundai will bring new parts and suppliers to the marque.. they still will not know what an RD tib is.. so we can remain safely different from the herd
Old 03-22-2004, 12:19 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blacktibs)</div><div class='quotemain'>well, its no cheaper for the next car.</div>

I used to think that was true until I started to look into the VW market (I may be selling my Tib for a Passat). At a local VW speedshop, http://www.concept1.ca/, I can purchase a full coil-over setup for less in Canadian $ than it what it would cost in US $ for a setup for my Tib. In fact, I could purchase a full coil-over system for about the same price as an Eibach Pro System for the Tib.

Now, I'm not saying that we should all sell our Hyundais for VW's, its just kind of frustrating to see relatively expensive cars have cheaper aftermarket parts than our relatively inexpensive cars. Wouldn't common sense dictate that if you have the bucks for a more expensive car, you will probably be more willing to pay a premium for aftermarket parts than those people who are purchasing inexpensive cars?

I know an arguement can be made that it is simply a case of supply and demand. However, maybe the problem is that the manufacturers for the Hyundai aftermarket are making a premium product for a discount market. I'll bet there is a lot more market for a "pretty good" coil-over setup at $1,000 Can. than there is for a "kick ass" coil-over setup at $1,800 - $3,000 Can. Likewise, there would be a much larger market for a well-made mild steel header at $350 Can. than there is for my $750 stainless steel Key Performance one. If they had made the same header out of mild steel for half the price, would I have bought it? You bet! Its not like I plan on owning the car for the next 10 years, and I could get it ceramic coated for less than the difference in price.

I think we can all agree that the Hyundai scene is still pretty small. For the most part it is driven by the enthusiasts - those people who want the best and are willing to pay for it. When someone like Rob (HP) is looking for vendors, he probably wants to carry those vendors he would actually buy product from for his own use. The problem is that most people cannot afford that premium product or don't see the value in it. What we need are manufacturers who have excellent "fit and finish" but are using lower quality components to bring the price down (for example, mild steel vs. stainless steel, or coil-overs with fewer bells and whistles or lower quality shocks).

I don't want anyone to think I support junky products coming into the market, I just think that the Hyundai aftermarket is not well supported with decent quality product for a reasonable price. It seems like it is either really good and really expensive, or total crap and cheap. Where is the in-between? When we start to get products that fill that gap is when we will see the Hyundai scene really take off.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:16 PM

i really could not care less who makes what for the Tiburon.... because a) you dont see Tibby's everyday to make yourself vomit like you do with the Civic...

B) making it yourself is SO much more fun...

c) Civics dont really need to have a community as much as we do, so its great that we all band together to help each other out, and form a tight knit group

d) majiktib you dont really need anything else for your car i think its f@#kin hot lookin..

e) DIY its what made this business, you think the Tuner cars would even have existed without ppl to DIY...

f) the Hyundai scene is starting to take off... if everyone on this site showed up at one car show, i could see the Civic owners needing new pants because i can think of a dozen or more cars on here that would make a Civic/ Integra owner shit themselves
Old 03-22-2004, 08:02 PM

i am sorry to say but... untill you been to nopi nationals in atlanta.. you havent seen nothin'.. trust me... there are many civics and teggies out there at are one of a kind...
Old 03-22-2004, 08:55 PM

you can say that about any car though
Old 03-22-2004, 10:06 PM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Because the ratio of dedicated tuners to Autozone tuners in the hyundai crowd is like 1:500</div>

This is the key factor in everything you said.

Take a look at this forum, HP.com and HA.com.

HP.com had a thread about 'angel eyes' with a view count of over 1000. I can find 300 threads about gauge faces, or painting my dash. If I want opinions about the best lookin rims, I'll get 3 pages of responses and 500 views.

But try and find a person who can give you solid advice about suspesion, alignment, tires, etc. 20-25 maybe...with over 1000 total combined members?

1 in 100 guys does any racing at all with thier tib but the current thing is drilled and slotted brake rotors. Why? Cuz it looks cool....Rice, says I.

There are less than 10 Tibs nation wide involved seriously in autocross. Only 1 on a national level in SCCA that I know of. None in solo1, none in SCCA IT, at least that I have found. I havn't seen a Tib on the Speed Channel ever. Even the WRC guys went to an Accent.

So yeah, no racers, no racing parts...makes sense to me.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:54 AM

I see your .02 and raise it .03

It's simply put into this.. Supply and Demand.

The RD, wasn't that big of an option for tunners.. because of the companie's bad rep (as REDZ mentioned).. so back in the day many tunners were opting for the Civic. It was a cheap car, and many manufactures saw that people were getting them.. people swapping parts.. ideas.. how to make cars faster, hence the companies bought onto it's idea.

Not many Hyundai drivers, could get parts because the companies did not see a market for it.

Think about this.. You are a company that produces and sells say.. Bodykits(i just got one, only thing on my mind)..

You see many Civics on the road that people are talking about doing up, for our sake we will say 20..

On that same stretch of road.. you see about 3 Tibs..

Now, you as a company.. like all companies.. wants to make money.. mmmm money.. which of the makes, will you build parts for? keep in mind your goal here.. money. Obviously the civic, because of the quanity of them on the road.. more products for more cars, means more money.

What we have to do, as a 'RD group' in general.. is tell those companies, and other RD drivers.. look, there are more people into Tunning.. RDs' are tunable, they have the lines.. and if it wasn't for the First Gen Tib.. the wing you see on the back of the SE would never of existed. The job is to make people aware that RDs need aftermarket parts as well.. Like how Voidd said it.

Thats my speach.. take it or leave it..