The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Encounters with police

Old 02-24-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only bad experience (that wasn't earned) was one where I came out on top.

I think everyone has seen my rally excel by now.. I used to drive that everyday as well. One night, at around 2 or 3 in the morning, I was heading back into Ocean City NJ (where I lived) it was winter and as a resort town, it was very quiet. As an island, Ocean City only has two direct routes on and off, 9th and 34th streets. I came in on 34th street and only saw one other car, a cop car idling at the wawa as the driver was inside getting coffee (I will save the donut jokes).

I drive up to Asbury Ave (the main drag and it is the road I lived on) and proceeded up to 16th street (where my place was) About five blocks (or half a mile) up the road, I noticed a pair of headlights pull onto Asbury ave from 34th street. Thinking it might be the cop, I checked my speed and saw that I was staying about 2 over the limit (25mph) so I intentionally slowed to exactly the limit and continued on.

Slowly over the course of the next two miles, the car behind me crept up on me until I could see that it was indeed the cop I had seen at the convience store. I hit my signal to turn onto 16th street so I could hit the allyway and park behind my place and the reds and blues came on, So I pulled over.

A little bit of back info.. Ocean City is a jumping place in the summer, so while there are a LOT of cops, only a couple of radar. Three cars I think, all three of which have the word "tango" and a number on the light bars. Also, Ocean city only had two female police officers.. one of which was nice, the othe was a serious B with an attitude. It was the second one who had pulled me over.

So, I get all my info and hand it to her as she shines that god aweful supermag light into my eyes... and as she begins to walk away, I ask. "why did you pull me over?"

Her responce was classic. "I clocked you doing 35 back there" This was after I intentionally kept my speed at 25mph. so I asked her "where? I saw you at the wawa when I came into town. I saw you turn onto Asbury Ave, and I watched you follow me. I KNEW you were there the entire time. Do you really think I would speed with you behind me?"

I wish I had a camera on me.. the look on her face was precious as she weighed all her options before literally throwing all my paperwork in the window at me and stomping off to her car in a huff. She slammed the door, threw it in gear and literally sped out like she was being called away to help an officer down.

I found out later from a friend of mine who knows a lot of officers in OCNJ.. Whenever she goes to court.. she NEVER wins.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:21 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

patreezy why didnt you file a complaint? you did nothing wrong.. Thats BS. Cops are great but cops that abuse their power suck.

i constantly see cops(saw one today) on their cell-phone while driving(illegal in NY). It wouldnt bother me if the same cops didnt pull people for talking on their cell phone.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well I'll guess I'll tell mine as well. this was just recently when a cop harassed me for about 15 minutes...

I live near Minneapolis, MN and was taking a trip up with a friend of mine to Duluth to visit some of our friends (about a 3 hour drive). It was 9:00 when we left cuz it was kinda a last moment decision. Going up I35 on a saturday night, no traffic and i wanted to get there faster so I was going 90 in a 70. The few cars we saw i just kinda leisurely went be (everyone goes 80 or so anyway) and eventually came to a point where 2 cars were side by side going the same speed... and that speed was slow.

So i fly up on this other car and pretty much slam on my brakes to about 65 and then realize that the car infront of me was a cop... so i KNOW he knows i was speeding, all he had to do was be awake to notice how fast i came up on him, but my radar detector had never went off so i knew he had no proof! haha. I just keep going on behind him for like a minute until he slowed down to 60 and got in the right lane behind the car that had previously been right next to him. I look down at my speedo, still going 60 mph i say "screw this, the speed limit is 70, he cant pull me over for doing that!" and set my cruise for 70.

pulling ahead of him and ending up next to that other car (which had been gaining a little distance on us the whole time the cop was going 60) i look back and the cop is in my blind spot. I asked my friend to tell me what he was doing. he replies "hes just starting at us..." so i look ever again and sure enough, hes just peering through my window at us, and at this point my radar detector is going off and blinking and im like haha wonder how he likes that.

He then falls back farther, the front of his car a little behind the back of mine, still in opposite lanes. I have my friend look now and he said the cop was typing, so i assumed he was running my plates. didnt care, he wouldnt find anythign on me that way. By this time we had come to find that it was a STATE TROOPER (reknown around here for being the biggest of assholes. some cops are nice, they arent... at all. my cruise still set at 70, i carry on.

THEN, this is the part that REALLY made me mad. he gets behind me and creeps closer and closer to my back bumper. the whole time im repeating out loud "im not gunna go faster..." to my friend. the cop got SOOOO clost to me that i honestly, with no exaggeration, could no longer see his headlights. im like WOW thats safe! and he drove like that, appearing to be in my hatch, for like another 10 minutes with my cruise still at 70. finally, he went into the other lane behind the other car, at which point was now behind us a little, and rode that guys ass for awhile. that guy made the mistake of speeding up and was immediately pulled over! i couldnt believe it. the guy was just trying to find a reason to screw one of us over (apparently he wanted me more since he knew i was speeding) so he ended up MAKING the other car! now thats gotta be illegal or something. I almost wanted to call the police (the good ones... haha) on him!

So i was pissed, but happy i got away. the catch, tho, was the next day i had a little scratch on my back bumper that wasnt there the night before, and it had a strange resemblance to the front guard things that cop cars have..... but i never felt him hit me so i dont know if it was him, and i have no proof anyway. but WOW that made me mad.

haha sorry i just wrote a novel... im still mad about it so i tend to add too many details... rolleyes.gif
Old 02-24-2005, 05:06 PM

I had another story that was bad... and I was at fault, just did not realise it at the time.

Still in my old excel, I had it off the road for two months to replace the transmission (sheared the input shaft) and when I got her running again, I was overdue for inspection. I took her in and she failed (I forget for what now.. a light or something) and I got a failure notice on the windsheild.

What I didn't realise.. that sticker is only good for thirty days AFTER the car was due to be inspected. I was now two months overdue. I went into Atlantic City right after this and as I was going down Atlantic Ave, saw two motorcycle cops look directly at my inspection sticker as they were going the other way. I noticed and immediatly found a place to pull over where they would have room to get behind me. At this point I thought I was still safe and in the clear as the car had JUST failed inspection.

Anyway, one of the cops pulls in behind me and the other pulled his bike in front to keep me from running or something. As he did this though, he dropped the bike. Immediatly I opened the door to help him get it upright as I know those big bike are HEAVY and almost lost my head as the other cop ran by to help his partner, yelled at me to get back in the car and gave the door a push to close it. Old excels have a framed window.

Anyway, I am in the car thinking I am in deep shit. The one cop just scratched his bike up badly and bruised his ego.. and I was right. The two of them wrote me up for EVERYTHING they could find wrong with the car. Thankfully when I went to court for it, (my decision) and explained it to the DA he dropped all but the failure to inspect.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:31 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alex01tib)</div><div class='quotemain'>patreezy why didnt you file a complaint?</div>

Nothin woulda happened. I have no proof...plus he's a COP!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:37 PM

Tibminn, thats where you slam on the brakes, let him rearend you and buy you another car, and sue the state for injuries you incurred from the cop following you too closely while being employed by the state. tongue.gif
Old 02-24-2005, 06:48 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>Tibminn, thats where you slam on the brakes, let him rearend you and buy you another car, and sue the state for injuries you incurred from the cop following you too closely while being employed by the state. tongue.gif</div>

damn... i really shoulda done that! haha. guess it was far from the first thing that came to mind tho haha. unfortunately they probably would have found some way to screw me over... and i dont have full insurance coverage 02.gif
Old 02-24-2005, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Okay I got one.

We had been at a bar with some of the g/f college friends when we decided to go to a house party that was mentioned earlier. It sucked so I offered rides to the people in my car. It was late prolly around 3:00am or so, nobody was on the streets. I hoped on this sorta highway that starts out with a large chicayne (sp??) that is kinda fun to drive through. So here I figure these guys don't know me I might as well hit it pretty quick and see what they think. So I power through these corners and slow down when I hit 120 kph (80 zone) All of a sudden this dark and desolate road is lit up with those god awful cherries. So I pull over right away, I didn't even wait for the cop to catch up.

So the cop gets out and walks around my car with the flashlight, doesn't even come to the window. As he's doing this another car pulls up behind him and blocks the road. After a thorough search, he asks me to step out of the vehicle. I told him I was taking these guys home from a party down the road. I also admitted to speeding as I knew I was and shouldn't have. Once I was finished screwing myself, another cop comes from the opposite direction!! He too blocks the road, Lights ablaze. So now I'm getting scared and these two poor fools in my car are terrified that I'm a killer or something I'm sure. The cop then goes on to ask me if I had hit anything recently, the two other policemen have joined the party by now. I remembered him taking his time looking at my right front where I had an unfortunate run in with an oversized racoon. As soon as I explained that, the other cop pulled him aside and told me to get into my vehicle. As I get in an unmarked Impala drops by with another 2 cops in it. I'm here stuck with 4 cruisers, and 5 cops!! Anyway already long story short. These cops thought I was part of a Hit and Run that happened earlier in the night. The cars involved were a silver sunfire and a van full of mothers and children. Guess what one took off.

I didn't get a ticket, but dammit I was scared, I for sure thought I was in it DEEP.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

haha they thought the tib was a sunfire? see if the cops would have explained what was going on they wouldnt have made such a scene... LOL thats funny
Old 02-24-2005, 07:15 PM

Nothin has happened to me at all yet, again, but I know some of the Police in my town, so hopefully that will come in handy.