The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Encounters with police

Old 02-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

listen to this one:

I'm driving down a road on my way to my girlfriend's house (she's with me). A police car is coming from a side street about to turn on to the road I'm on. He turns, and gets behind me. He speeds up and gets closer to my car (it's a fairly busy road, but it was late at night and we were the only ones on my side of the road).

He gets next to my car, speeds up so his front nose is about to my door, then backs off a little ways.. about 10 seconds later he gets behind me. I don't have any emblems on my car (all shaved off). I pull up to the red traffic light (turn signal on) and make a right turn. He follows, and pulls me over about 15 seconds down the road. I knew I wasn't speeding, and wasn't sure why he pulled me over. He asks for License, Registration, and Proof of Insurance. I gave him license, and as I was digging through my crap looking for my registration, he's shining the flash light in watching me. I come to an old copy, and he says,
Cop: "That will work"
Me: "But it's an old copy"
Cop: "That's okay"

... I hand it to him as he reaches in the car for it ...
... he stands there looking at license and registration (never asked again for proof of insurance) ...

Cop: "Are you Brandon ____? Do you still live at ### B___ Drive?"
Me: "Yes sir"
Cop: "And is the car registered to your mom (Anita ___)?
Me: "Yes sir"
Cop: "And this thing is a White Hyundai Tiburon?"
Me: "Yes sir... did I do something wrong?"

Now is where I'm really getting anxious, having no clue why he pulled me over.

Cop: "I could write you a ticket for improperly maintaining a vehicle."

I'm thinking, "oh great, I've got my in-dash flipped out, blue neons on inside the car, no front bumper currently on the car, I already took my seatbelt off... he's going to write me a ticket for everything imaginable"

Me: "Improperly maintaining a vehicle? How so?"
Cop: "You have zip-ties holding your license plate on. By law you must have screws holding it in. I won't write you a ticket for it, but be aware that I could, and I suggest you fix that."
Me: "Oh, thank you. I'll be sure to. I wasn't aware that was illegal"

He gave me back my stuff and left. He never went back to his car to check for outstanding warrants or anything like that. He never checked to make sure I had an up-to-date copy of registration or proof of insurance (a recent TN law that they've become really strict on). I didn't want to tell him I have zip ties holding my license plate on because my two 15's rattled the screws out.

My interpretation: He wanted to know what the hell kind of car I was driving. He just wanted to look at my registration and see for himself. We drove for about 4 miles with him getting behind me, next to me, falling back, getting behind me again. dunno.gif