Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Wilwood Calipers

Old 12-04-2005, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tibster

For those of you using the Wilwood calipers, which model calipers are you using and which bracket (part numbers)? Did you need to fabricate a custom bracket or does Wilwood make one that will work? How about a 2-piece rotor solution?

I know there are companies that make the kit for our cars, but I'm trying to make one on my own. Thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

I don't think they make suitable brackets... You'll have to have them custom-made.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

thats the only part i will need to get fabricated when i purchase all my parts for my custom ww brake kit. i spent a TON of time figuring out exactly what i wanted. heres what i came up with(to fit under my 16" wheels and meet my price levels).

caliper: 120-7432-R/L
rotor: 160-7103/7104 (R/L)
rotor hat: 170-1754
hat-->rotor mount kit: 230-0233D

dont know on brake line, but that should get you started. the rotors up there are the srp rotors(D&S). they are expensive, so you might also consider reg. directional vane rotors.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:43 PM

QUOTE (tibby01 @ Dec 5 2005, 04:28 AM)
ask me cause i took a pretty good amount and spent a TON of time figuring out exactly what i wanted.

Alright, here goes
1. Which calipers are you using and why? -wilwood has a few 4-pison calipers available
2. What rotor setup do you plan on using? I've got a potential 2-piece setup from Korea that's pretty lightweight.
3. How about brake lines? I know that wilwood uses a different tap so my goodridge lines won't work. Which ones from goodridge will work?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:50 PM

edited my post above.

for brake lines, just get wilwood ones. the fsl caliper above has a 1/8 27 npt inlet, so you will need to get an adapter they sell as well for the brake lines. just spend some time looking around wilwood.com, you should be able to figure a bunch out.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:04 AM

I did some searching, but couldn't find the answer. What's the size of our stock caliper inlet? I've already got Goodridge lines, could I just get a fitting to work with the Wilwood calipers?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:46 PM

we have banjo bolt inlets. i dont think that you can get them to work with the wilwood calipers. it would require some kind of super weird adapter that i dont think is made. i would just go with wilwood lines and sell the goodridge ones.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:23 PM

QUOTE (tibby01 @ Dec 5 2005, 07:46 PM)
i would just go with wilwood lines and sell the goodridge ones.

Which part# works with our cars?

Here's another thought. I found a regular Mitsubishi Lancer kit with the same bolt pattern as us. Kit#140-7015 on http://www.hotrodsusa.com

These are going for $550 shipped with 2-piece rotors. $650 with drilled. Comes with everything including SS brake lines. Seems to me the only thing we'd have to modify is the caliper bracket. What do you think?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:10 PM

all you would have to do is measure the brake line lengths, and grab the correct fittings. i didnt get as far as to figure out which fitting we needed to bolt the lines up to our stock hard lines, but i already know what we need for the ww ss lines to the caliper. a trip to home depot and id be able to figure out the fitting we need for the other end.

hotrodusa always has some killer deals going on. also check www.pitstopusa.com for good prices on individual wilwood parts.

as for the evo kit, that definately looks like an idea. they actually use the exact rotor part number i had, but that part number for the hat is not a wilwood number. i really like the fsl caliper though, and that dynalite caliper they have listed is actually an older model. probably just as effective, and definately lighter. i like the fsl caliper because the pad is much thicker, and my tib is my daily driver. almost twice as thick. the fsl also uses the same 7420 pads as most of the bigger calipers.

if you have the spare cash and you like the features, i would definately give that kit a try. hell, the lines might already include the proper fittings. if not, a trip to the hardware store will fix it quick. the types of fittings are very common.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:30 PM

Do you see any potential problems with fitment? I've got 17s so rotor and caliper fitment won't be an issue. You think the hat will fit without any issues?

The rotors also seem a little thin... which is good and bad. Good because they'll be pretty light, the bad being they might not last as long, possible warping, and less heat dissapation. Thoughts?