Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Wider Front Tires. How Much Wider?

Old 11-24-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: tiburon 1998

Hi!

We discussed in the past, that putting wider tires up front will make a fwd car be more Neutral in its handling...

1.How wider are we talking: 215, compared to the rear 205, or at least 225 - to make a noticble difference?

2.If you use wider rims in the front, or even the same width, BUY different offset, making the outer part of the front wheels different from the rear ( more to the "outside")... don't you screw the handling?
What I mean is, when using different tires, front and back, do you need to keep the outer points of the tires the same?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:18 PM

I'd suggest a much more sofisticated route than putting woder tires in front; besides grip in tires is much more related to compound than to actual width, so you could use same size tires with a softer compound on the front and get the same. The width of the tire could affect performance, but it would have to be a noticeable difference (as in 205 to 215 is not noticeable enough? idk)

The correct way to change behaviour is with sway bars, imo that would be a wiser investment, the tire thing is kinda getto thing imo, unless you have tried every suspension setting and still need some little more tweaking, but that would only be the case of true race cars.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:01 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I switched mine from 205 -> 215, noticed it takes a little more force to steer, but nothing very agonising. It's not as easy to steer anymore as were the stock 195's or 205's, but I prefer the road grip and traction better. I'd say 215 is a must and it's really not that noticeable.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:16 PM

kumho tyres.
215/45/17 front and back.

wheels sparco racing 17x 8.

I had to get mudguards rolled and widened so it doesn't scrap the tyres.
I just keep the front wheels with near new threads especially before I get it dynoed for hp.
previously with worn tyres its slips on the dyno rollers.

for hard acceleration, I'm finding it starts to vear to the left and right, but the strut bars once its fabricated should fix this.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:55 PM

Vehicle: tiburon 1998

Thanks guys, keep em comming!